48 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2016 10:37 AM by HerrDoktor

NPM 12.01/NCM 7.5.1 ?all good?

sja

Hi

Please update if you have problems with 12.01 or NCM 7.5.1 ?

Sure like to get some good vibes ...

Before upgrate my production set..

/SJA

• Re: NPM 12.1/NCM 7.5.1 ?all good?
          designerfx

I'm watching for this as well, sja

Richard Phillips

I've been running 12.1 for several weeks and it is very stable. Well worth the upgrade.

lynchnigel

Likewise we upgraded about 3 months ago and everything is green The interface change takes a little to get used to but you soon find your way around.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                lynchnigel

My apologies 12 <- we did some time ago  and 12.1 soon

Richard Phillips

Mine is 12.0.1

Richard Phillips

I stay up to date most of the time, so I did upgrade to 12 when it first came out and then 12.0.1 when it dropped. I've had very little problems with Solarwinds over the years and find that most issues can be resolved by running the configuration wizard again, it does a very good job of bringing things back to proper functioning. I've only had to make a couple of tickets and they are generally very quick to respond and work with me to resolve any problems. The one big key (but then you probably already know this) is to do a database backup prior to the upgrade. I've never had to restore from one of the backups, but if you did get to that point and didn't have the backup it could mean a whole lot of work.

I'd feel comfortable saying 12.0.1 is very stable. We have several components but NCM isn't one of them so I can't speak to that portion.

kelly.ellison

We have upgraded to NPM12.0.1 and i can vouch for the stability once its installed. Currently we can't edit any of our interfaces on on of our additional pollers and the upgrade process was a little rough. We followed the Upgrade documentation and when we went to use the new package installer for the additional pollers we got a Orion core mismatch error. We Called SolarWinds support there advice was to completely roll back everything on the "physical" main poller to previous version and retry the entire upgrade. The rep wouldn't even entertain any other ideas she just kept stating that we have to roll back. We ended up going with a fresh install on both of our additional pollers. That is what most likely caused our issue. The problem i had was more with customer service not helping she didn't even want to web-ex to try and help us troubleshoot what went wrong she just kept repeating you must roll everything back.

squinsey

Ouch kelly.ellison not good to read. Are you able to advise the case number so SolarWinds staff who see this thread can review?

We hit similar issues with our upgrade on PreProd with 1 APE.

The upgrade advisor has now been updated to reflect the correct path as it missed a couple of modules that require the double update - NCM with NPM 11.5.3 > 12.0.1 upgrade

The APE failed the check on SAM, and we were at a loss to progress within the limited time that remained.

Couldn't update APE to NPM 12.0 seperately as it mismatched with core already being on 12.0.1

Reverting the core VM and Db to pre upgrade would have taken too long.

Uninstalled the SolarWinds modules from APE and ran the 5mb installer.

It just ran so smoothly, and did the APE install (upgrade) seamlessly.

No doubt I'll give an update on Tuesday as to how production upgrade goes sja

Core

2 x APE

2 x AWS

FSDb

2 x VMan Appliances

Something for those also planning a major upgrade -- I've logged a *Warning I'm upgrading please be available* ticket.

This can be of assistance as I have already provided diagnostics from the 6 windows servers, as well as the upgrade steps I will be actioning.

Support have already reviewed my solution so if it does go BOOM and I need to call, we can get deeper into the issue quicker.

Oh and I scheduled the upgrade to align with the US work hours too since I'm on the other side of the world

tcount

The "New" licensing application does not recognize additional polling agents in the same server, it says my polling rate now is 192%, with three engines running. Before the upgrade to 12.0.1 from 12.0, it was 63%.

emorillo2

We are having major issues with NCM 7.5/NPM 12.0.1. After updating to NCM 7.5 the Configuration Wizard fails with error message saying "Error while executing script- Invalid object name 'NCM_SubJobs'.". SolarWinds Support has escalated it to application development. That was yesterday afternoon, still no response as of this morning.

I found an article (link) that mentioned an issue with NCM 7.5 and "NCM.Subjobs" plugin, not exactly the same symptoms and error message as I am getting, but I tried uninstalling the Customer Improvement Program as the article suggests. That did not fix it.

The whole thing had been down for hours, my NOC was getting impatient, so I decided to uninstall NCM and re-run the CW and that got NPM 12.0.1 and all the other modules running.

So now we have been running for a day without NCM... Also getting reports from the NOC that they are missing some dashboards and availability summary (%)...

Nightmare...

mikegrocket

I've been running NPM 12.0.1 and NCM 7.5.1 together for a few months now. No issues.

bobmarley

I upgraded to 12.0.1 as soon as it came out and everything is working fine.

goodzhere

I've been on it since they came out.  I had a few small issues, but they are all resolved.  No big issues.  I recommend the upgrade.  The additional features are so worthwhile.

emorillo2

I just wanted to report that the issues have been resolved by the Application Engineer. Apparently there was an issue with the NCM_Audit table being too large, AE truncated the table and installation completed successfully.

chayden18

Just uprgraded from 12.0 to 12.0.1. Netpath has already come in handy, now we can see the path to much needed resources. We are also running NTA 4.2 and NCM 7.5.0, may wait and see how this goes then upgrade those as well.

jlinkowsky

What about a 'clean' install on a new VM?  I'm at 11.5.3 currently.  I've read some "not so nice" things about doing the upgrade, so I want to do a fresh, clean installation of 12.0.x (along with the newest versions of NTA, NCM, SAM, etc.).

My big question is how do I migrate all of my data, settings etc. from 11.5.3 to my new 12.0 installation?  I would hope this would be an option, but not sure.  Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

chayden18

On ours we just linked it to the current database, and everything was pulled from that. Granted we don't have a huge environment (less than a thousand objects), but everything pulled up fine.

Richard Phillips

I'd run this question past SolarWinds support. There is enough difference between 11 and 12 that the database on the back end could be different.

I've had great success with building a new machine and just re-pointing the DB - but it's always been within the same major revision.

bharris

I would imagine you would have to run the upgrade regardless. There are tons of changes between 11.5.x and 12.0 that would need to be upgraded to operate correctly.

jlinkowsky what "not so nice" things have you read about?  I'm will be upgrading to NPM 12 next week and would like to know of any issues people have read about or have had.

squinsey

All you base belong to us - oh I mean all your data and settings can only be migrated successfully via the upgrade AFAIK.

Reason is it's a new major core release going to NPM12.0.

WebUI changes, The Db Schema updates, reporting and alerting changes etc..

We did a clean VM a year ago running NPM 11.5.3, then upgrade 2 days ago  > 12.0 > 12.0.1 (and other modules)

No major issues so far with NPM / NCM combo.

Just be careful though if you have _ever_ run RC's. You are best to upgrade to the latest GA of that particular module version first

shuth

If you want a "clean" install on a new VM, you can do the following.

- Do your "step" upgrades on the old VM (i.e. NPM 11.5.3 to NPM 12.0)

- Follow the steps in the Admin Guide for "server migration" and install NPM 12.0.1 and the latest versions of the modules on the new server pointing at your existing database. When you install, it will update the database. There are a few extra bits and pieces involved but the admin guide instructions are quite detailed.

The exact order will depend on what modules you have and their versions.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                        bharris

I'm assuming the same steps are to be followed on each of the APEs? 

shuth

If you want to run up a clean APE, it is easier than ever in the new versions.

1. Shutdown the old server.

2. Run up the new server with same hostname/IP address.

3. Copy over the installer from the web console (6 MB or so).

4. Run the installer on the APE, input your main server details and select Additional Polling Engine.

5. The installer will copy over required files from the main poller and run through the installation.

If you don't want downtime, run up a new APE and use Manage Nodes to re-assign the nodes from the old server to the new server.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                          goodzhere

So here is what I would do for a "clean install":

1.  Backup your DB and SolarWinds machine/VM first.  This is in case you have to go back.

2.  Upgrade your current SolarWinds installation(s) in the correct order (in accordance with the product upgrade advisor ) so that it upgrades the database.

3.  Build your new SolarWinds server using the same IP address and machine name.  Obviously, disconnect the NIC until ready to put into production.

4.  Install all the latest versions of the SolarWinds products that you just upgraded to (in accordance with the product upgrade advisor ) to a new (dummy) DB.  This is just to get them installed.  Create any name.  This will be deleted.

5.  Create backup of the new SolarWinds server so you have something to go back to if you need to later on.  You don't want to repeat this build if you done have to.  This is just in case something goes wrong.

6.  Shut down or disconnect the NIC to the old SolarWinds server.

7.  Bring up the new SolarWinds server and/or enable its NIC.

8.  Run the Configuration wizard on the new server and map it to the upgraded DB from step 2.

9.  Delete the dummy DB.

10.  Decommission the old server after you have verified the new one is fine.

This will keep all your settings and you will have a clean SolarWinds server that does not have all the "extra" files from previous version of SolarWinds modules.  This sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't too much.  It's always nice to have a clean install SolarWinds server from time to time.

HerrDoktor

Hi All

lately the restrictions with Module-versions is a bit more tight than in the past, I assume this is due to the fact that there are so many new cool features and Integrations coming to the product. These features integrate into all modules so they depend on each other.

I had some troubles getting evervthing up to date with the new HA-Feature BUT: once I read the online help to get all versions and dependencies it worked like a charm.

Currently running in my lab environment:

Orion Platform 2016.2.100, SAM 6.3.0, DPA 10.2.0, NCM 7.5.1, IVIM 2.1.2, QoE 2.2.0, Toolset 11.0.3, NetPath 1.0.1, NPM 12.0.1, WPM 2.2.1

Also with HA

rschroeder

I'm running the latest versions of NPM, NCM, and NTA with four pollers.  I'm happy with their performance.  No complaints so far.