6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 8:02 AM by d09h

Solarwinds Login AD Logs

spross

Hello,

We have a user that is in an AD group. The AD group has been added to Solarwinds. No one in this group is able to login.  All of the other AD groups do not have a problem.  They receive the error Bad username or Password.  Is there a SW log file that would show us the error back from AD so that I can show to the Systems team?  There is nothing in the Event viewer (Security and SolarWinds). I need to have a log file showing the issue.

Thanks

Scott

• Re: Solarwinds Login AD Logs
          HerrDoktor

I'd start with removing and adding the group to the Orion web-console-login.

Maybe something went wrong there.

To my knowledge Orion just passes the logon credentials to the domain controller (with the Computer-account) and waits for a positive response. So as long as your Orion Server is an AD Member it should not need any further configuration.

What version are you running (Check the bottom of your Orion Website and post the Versions of all modules here)

Cheers,

Holger

spross

Yeah... I should have mentioned that we have done the adding and removing several times and it did not help.  We are using NPM 11.5

Scott

HerrDoktor

I can't resist posting this IT Crowd - Have You Tried Turning It Off And On Again? - YouTube

I do not have any definite hints but here are some of the things that come to my mind:

Do you see the requests in your Audit log on the Domaincontroller as failures?

Orion Server and windows group are in the same AD-Domain?

Are there any special characters in the windows group name? Is there a windows group with a very similar name , the reason I am asking is that I was supporting abother product (not Solarwinds) that was not able to handle groups when there was a group with the same first 8 characters.

other than that this seems to be a case for support. This is not an expected behavior.

spross

So I don't have access to the domain controller (In fact, I am doing the due diligence to get the domain admins to actually take this as an issue). Yes, they are in the same group name and there is no special characters in the name.

Thanks

HerrDoktor

It seems you are not the only one

AD Group Logon broken

Re: Solarwinds AD

Problems with AD Group Login  (this seems most promising: Check the "allow logon locally" rights on your Solarwinds Server)

d09h

I have occasionally fixed AD login issues for users by deleting the involved row (the affected user) from the accounts table in the database.  I did this for users who did not have individual AD accounts but who authenticated through the AD group configured in SolarWinds.  Seemed like the cached information was keeping access from working since removing that information tended to fix the issue.  I did not have access to the AD server or its logs, so the quick and proven fix was preferred over a time consuming research project involving other teams/ priorities.

DISCLAIMER:  Be careful in the database.