This content has been marked as final. Show 2 replies
1 of 1 people found this helpful
- It is not possible to have a different URL/branding for different locations/departments within one WHD instance.
- If you did need completely distinct environments to facilitate that, they would be licensed completely independently. You are correct in assuming that the database would not be shared in that scenario.
- You can certainly have one WHD environment that covers everyone; within the product you can route Request Types to appropriate Tech Groups, so all maintenance-related tickets could go to the Maintenance tech team, and all HR tickets would go to the HR team, etc... In such a case, you do have the ability to restrict your Tech users to only see the tickets from their Tech Groups. An Admin user can see/do anything, but a regular Tech can be restricted in that way.
- I would not use Companies for the HR/IT/MAINT groups. Those are much better suited to being Departments rather than Companies.
- Locations can 'belong' to Companies, but Department is a completely separate designation that is not related to Companies/Locations. So, I could have a Client (end-user) that has their Department set to HR and their Location set to Austin. My environment has Location 'Austin' tied to Company 'SolarWinds' so because of that relationship when i look up this user i also know that they are in Company 'SolarWinds' because of that relationship.
- You can make certain Request Types visible only to specific Locations, Companies, or Departments. For example if i have a Request Type called 'Playground Equipment Repair' but only 2 of my Locations have playgrounds, i can limit who sees that Request Type to only those two Locations.
- You can change the name of "Company" and/or "Location" as they are displayed in the system as a whole. So, you could effectively rename Company to show up as Site and Location to show up as Building OR you could effectively rename Company to show up as School and Location show up as Area (which might be things like '1st floor' or 'east wing' or whatever else makes sense). This would be done by changing the "Label" for that entity in a config file as described here.
I am just getting around to setting up WHD, so I was very happy to see that I had a response to my question. Now, I can move further with the set-up! Thanks you for your helpful response!