This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

AD Service Account Breaks - How to Detect Failed Attempts to Monitor

What can I do to recognize when a large portion of our application monitors or server suddenly become UNKNOWN or OFFLINE due to a GPO change that has broken our service accounts access?

We recently had a GPO Update break our visibility into our environment and the first symptom we noticed was when support teams contacted us regarding an large influx of false positive email alerts. What can be done to monitor this and be aware of this possibly happening in the future?

We are not currently monitoring the Domain Controller in SolarWinds so that is not an option at this time. Any creative ideas to ensure the health of our environment?

• Take a look at the Application or System Event Log, it should have generated an Event ID and message for GPO failures. I would recommend to create a new application based on when the Event Log comes in, as the issue today was Services, but tomorrow could be updates or drivers.

• What exactly changed?

Also, I'm not sure how GPO failure alerts are related in response to the above. He didn't say there are GPO failures, but a GPO change.

My question is, what kind of GPO change took place?

If something blows up all of your triggers there's not much you can do as far as a fair warning goes. Unless, the service account passwords were changed then you would want a tool to email you on service account password change - we do this with Manage Engine AD Audit. But by the time you get that alert SAM is already blowing up, not sure how you can possibly get something quick enough to stop a SAM SPAM Storm which are always fun. emoticons_happy.png