This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Separating Primary Poller from Central Server

Currently in our environment we have a central server that runs the primary poller. We have a second poller running in one of our secondary data centres. Due to load on the primary server as the result of also running a poller, is it possible to separate the primary poller from the central server so that it too is on to its own server? So in essence we would have a central management server with related services, and 2 separate dedicated polling servers?

I read through the documentation but it was not clear whether you can separate the primary poller from the central management server and I do not remember if the option was available during the installation (been several months).

Thanks

• Howdy emoticons_happy.png,

While there is not a default "remove" option open to you, you can accomplish this via just not assigning any nodes to the primary poller.  This will effectively remove any polling that it does aside from an odd or end here and there (for example, all IPAM polling originates from the primary poller).  This would leave the management of the Orion system on that server, but without the polling load on it.  That being said, it would require that you have additional poller licenses to support it.  The license for the primary poller will still be used by that sever (you cannot turn that primary poller into a management server and a polling engine server in other words).  Hope this helps some.

• You could achieve what you want by moving all the polled nodes onto one of your additional polling engines.  Then it's just a matter of keeping all polling jobs off the main server.  That will reduce the load and essentially create a central management server.

• Thank you guys. This answers my question. I was hoping that I could reassign the primary poller license to a separate individual server like we have for our 2nd poller instance. As it stands we have our load split between both pollers, but see some heavy CPU that can affect the web management user experience from time to time hence the inquiry. I guess the only viable option is to increasing the available resources on the primary poller/central management server or purchase a 3 poller engine license.

• You can separate the web load off the main server with a webserver license.  We've got 3 running like that and it helps.

• Thanks  for the suggestion. In such a case, is the web server pulling all the statistical information directly from the database, or is it pulling the data through the central management server which is retrieving it from the database? I ask because if its the latter, than the same performance bottleneck exists though to a lesser extent, even though the web specific services are independent.

• It appears to be a mix of connections.  Some go from the web server to the database, some from the webserver to the main polling engine.

The ones to the main polling engine are SWIS queries over port 17777 but I don't know what data is being queried.

chris

• Also the additional webserver licenses are cheap compared to a poller!