9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 3:56 PM by mrigank_

Interface and description name separator.

mrigank_

There is a separator that is separating the interface name and its description on solarwinds, The alert string whcih comes is something like this "Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/11 · # TO AP2(${NetObjectName}, or :{InterfaceName} # for node XYZ(node name) is Down", when this alert is being processed to create a ticket using SNOW(Service now), the ticket is getting encrypted due to a special character that is separating the interface name and description.

Example: this is the interface name and description-"Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/11 · # TO AP2" and this is the operator "·" which is getting converted to this when it is reaching SNOW is  and the ticket is getting encrypted, but from the ticketing side all the exclusions have been applied.

Can anyone have a fix for this as this is a very serious issue for us.

• Re: Interface and description name separator.
          John Handberg

I am not exactly sure what parameter you are trying to pass.  It looks like the Interface Caption which to me looks like a concatenation of Interface Description and Interface Alias with that special character in between.  If it is Interface Caption, you could switch those out for the description an alias, getting the same info without the special character.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            John Handberg

In the alert itself.  The part of the alert in SolarWinds that is passing the parameters to the ticketing system.  I might try to change out what is being passed to the ticket system.  This is just an example of modifying what I am sending to the NetPerfMon log.

So if the system is passing something like this:

Interface ${Interface.Caption} for node ${NodeName} is ${Interface.Status}.

Change to :

Interface ${N=SwisEntity;M=InterfaceName} ${N=SwisEntity;M=Alias} for node ${NodeName} is ${Interface.Status}.

This should break up the Caption into it's 2 components without the special character in between. 

Is the non-SWIS form?:

${Interface.Name} ${Interface.Alias}

This would be in whatever Trigger Action is sending on to your ticketing system form inside the Alert.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                mrigank_

We are using this for the alert to trigger in the trigger action.

Critical_Alert Interface ${InterfaceName} for node ${N=SwisEntity;M=Node.DisplayName} has transmitted utilization of ${Interface.OutPercentUtil} which is greater than the threshold of 90%.

Should we replace  ${InterfaceName} with ${N=SwisEntity;M=InterfaceName} ${N=SwisEntity;M=Alias}???

John Handberg

${Interface.Name} should just give the first part (GigabitEthernet1/0/11) without the description.  ${Interface.Caption} does give out the name and description with the special character in between in my tests.

Either way, I have alerts now that use ${N=SwisEntity;M=InterfaceName} and that only gives out the GigabitEthernet1/0/11.

I have this in an interface down message:

${N=SwisEntity;M=Node.DisplayName} ${N=SwisEntity;M=Name} ${N=SwisEntity;M=TypeName} Alert ${N=Alerting;M=AlertName} at ${N=Alerting;M=AlertTriggerTime;F=DateTime}

Name Node: ${N=SwisEntity;M=Node.DisplayName}

Node Interface: ${N=SwisEntity;M=Name}

That results in this going to our ticket system:

<our node name here> Serial0/3/0/11:0 propPointToPointSerial Alert NETWORK INTERFACE IS DOWN at Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:36 PM

Name Node: <our node name here>

Node Interface: Serial0/3/0/11:0