You stated fresh install of all your "modules" are you going do a fresh SQLDB as well?
New SQLDB –
I know I can copy the old 11.5 reports and alerts templates but, The custom prop I have created already is my concern.
I have been reading the migration doc and the more I read the more it get complicated.
I was advised to do this as an option
) Install evaluation versions of current modules of Solarwinds on the new servers, create a temporary DB
2) Verify functionality by discovery lab equipment, etc.
3) Upgrade existing environment to current versions in preparation for migration
4) Shut down Solarwinds services on old installation and deactivate licenses
5) Backup DB from old SQL server and restore on new.
6) Run configuration wizard on new Solarwinds server and point it at the restored DB.
7) Activate licenses on the new server.
Any suggestion will be helpful.
OK so you will have a new DB server and restore the data from your old server to the new one then yes any customization's that you have done will be there.
We are also creating a new DB server and New Orion server. I would like to only migrate from the old database the last 6 months of data. Is this doable?
I would follow the steps as suggested, that worked fine for us, however I'd be inclined to separate migration and upgrade. Just too keep it simple.
Migrate old server 11.5 to new server 11.5, upgrade new server to 12.
Upgrade old server to 12, migrate old server 12 to new server 12.
It just means at any point your troubleshooting is either migration or upgrade related, and not both at the same time.
First, use the following resources for planning and upgrading:
Use the Product Upgrade Advisor to build your upgrade path. The path provides the exact products and versions to upgrade in a sequence to the latest versions.
As you are upgrading NPM and other modules, use the multiple products upgrade guide.
The guide includes checklists and instructions to help you plan and execute your upgrade.
When you are ready, download the upgrade package from the SolarWinds Customer Portal.
With the upgrade done you can migrate the DB and the application server using a fresh new installation on the new environment.
Use the following resources for planning and migrating:
Migrate products (application server)
- Migrate SolarWinds products to a new server with the same IP and hostname
- Migrate SolarWinds products to a new server with a new IP and hostname
- Migrating your Orion Platform product to another server training video
- Migrate the SolarWinds Orion SQL database to a new server
- Expert Series: Orion Database Migration & Maintenance and Orion Web Performance
- Backing up restoring and migrating your Orion database
Basically, I agree with MICHAEL KENT.