1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 6, 2017 1:00 PM by ryanbrothers

Desktop Notification Tool

ryanbrothers

I am new to the forums and I am not sure if this is where I am supposed to post.  I have a large television in my office that is connected to a windows 10 desktop that I use primarily for Solarwinds NOC view as well as desktop notification tool to play a sound when a node goes down.  Over the past few weeks I have been getting a .NET Framework error every time a node goes down as if when the program was trying to play the sound it had some issue and ended up crashing.  Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Desktop Details:

Desktop Notification Tool - Version 1.2.81.0

Operating System - Windows 10 Enterprise

.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) - Installed

.NET Framework 4.6 Advanced Services - Installed

Web Browser - Internet Explorer 11

Account Level - Limited (Not an Administrator)  -  I have tested as administrator and have same issue

Solarwinds Products:

Network Performance Monitor - Version 12.0

Network Configuration Manager - Version 7.5

NetPath - Version 1.0

Netflow Traffic Analyzer - Version 4.2

Integrated Virtual Infrastructure Monitor - Version 2.1.2

Error Message:

Application: SolarWinds.DesktopNotificationTool.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException

Stack:

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(System.Windows.Forms.Control, System.Delegate, System.Object[], Boolean)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(System.Delegate, System.Object[])

at SolarWinds.DesktopNotificationTool.NotificationForm.AddAlerts(SolarWinds.DesktopNotificationTool.ServiceModel.AlertDefinition[])

at SolarWinds.DesktopNotificationTool.Notification.NotificationHandler.NotifyItem(SolarWinds.DesktopNotificationTool.ServiceModel.AlertResult)

at SolarWinds.DesktopNotificationTool.Notification.NotificationHandler.Notify()

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

• Re: Desktop Notification Tool
          ryanbrothers

I have found a work around for this problem.

I changed in the preferences the notification items from X to 100.  It appears that when more than X notification items appear that is when the error occurs.  I normally don't have 100 notifications in a day, and since it automatically reboots each day I have not had a single problem.