22 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2018 8:47 AM by wluther

Custom ASPX resources in NPM 12

sotherls

So I have been using several custom resources I created over the years (earlier versions of NPM) and tried to add them to NPM 12.0 but it seems that everytime you run the configuration wizard for the web it wipes them out.

I assume this is now normal behavior however are we no longer allowed to use custom ASPX resources in 12?

• Re: Custom ASPX resources in NPM 12
            wluther

sotherls

I have been asked the same thing here too... Creating and modifying custom resources was one of the best things about SolarWinds, allowing anyone to easily build what is needed, as it is needed. I presume they are wanting to get away from doing that, on some level, and have the users create what they via the SDK, or query resources. I would much rather have all options, as I have also built numerous custom resources, which we use currently.

I only had time to do a little bit of poking around, and it appears as if they compiled all of those resources into the dll files, which seem to use virtual paths back to the folders. I presume that is why the files disappear after running the config wizard.

Perhaps aLTeReGo or tdanner will point us in the right direction, and help us out here.

Thank you,

-Will

aLTeReGo

wluther, the recommended best practice is to create new virtual directory in IIS under the 'SolarWinds NetPerfMon' website. Then add any custom ASPX or HTML code you wish to use there. The Configuration Wizard will not touch the contents of that Virtual Directory, nor will it remove it from the IIS Site. Then within the web interface you should be using the Custom HTML resource to call any custom code from that Virtual Directory. This will ensure nothing is broken as part of your upgrade process or Configuration Wizard runs.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                    orioncrack

This should be included as a small warning when you run the config tool.

We lost a ton custom work a few weeks back. My boss asked what happened to his custom link pages and I told him the support guy did it.

wluther

aLTeReGo Thank you very much for the information. That is exactly what I needed to know.

-Will

aLTeReGo

Just ensure that your virtual directory is not located in any SolarWinds path. I would recommend 'C:\inetpub\CustomHTML' or something similar. Placing your virtual directory under something like 'C:\inetpub\solarwinds' will likely result in the same issue you experienced above.

sotherls

aLTeReGo,

Have you tried this yet? I have and it seems to break the list resources.

What I tried was to create another folder under Inetpub called CustomHTML and put the files in there. When I do a list resources it never shows content (but then again it doesn't know how to get to that folder).

I also tried to copy the contents of the MISC folder to the CustomHTML folder then configured the current MISC folder in IIS as a virtual directory pointing the path to the CustomHTML location. So I then ran the CW for web then when I try to list resources it just hangs on that screen and will never load the resources.

Ideas (in your spare time)?

wluther

sotherls I think he means for you to add the "Custom HTML" resource to the page, and then, within that custom html resource, display the file living in your new custom virtual folder. Perhaps like an iFrame would do? If I understood correctly, I do not think they are wanting us to be "adding" our custom resources to the actual/default resource list.

sotherls

Yeah I tried that but what I had was custom ascx resources and when I tried to put them in an iframe it didn't work.

I tried what Alterego suggested and it didn't work so I am still looking for a solution - of course I could always break down and try to get these into custom SWQL queries - which is not what I want but......

sotherls

Did you make any progress with this???

wluther

No, not yet. I am still in the long process of upgrading, so I have not really had too much time to start working on the fun stuff. Hopefully I will be able to finish all of my upgrading prep work soon, and get back to customizing it.

wluther

I actually really liked the way it used to work (pre NPM 12). Seemed to be very easy, and simple, to get custom resources added. Seems like they have been getting away from that for a long while now. I believe it was, possibly, version 9, where you could make simple ".resource" files. Then they upgraded tech, but things were still fairly straightforward to customize. But now, it seems like I have some more learning to do before I can get back to where I previously was.

wluther

sotherls & orioncrack I have been doing a few upgrades recently, and figured a way to keep the custom resources alive in NPM 12.1. While initially running the config wizard will remove all of the custom resources, I was able to see my old resources after I made an edit to the "/inetpub/SolarWinds/PrecompiledApp.config" file.

I changed the "updatable" option from "false" to "true".

Before

<precompiledApp version="2" updatable="false"/>

After

<precompiledApp version="2" updatable="true"/>

Then, I copied over all of my custom resources, as I had them prior to upgrading.

The next thing I did was rebuild the resource cache file. (Thanks to antonis.athanasiou for sharing this EXTREMELY useful tip, here: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-187082#comment-218477)

He provided the following 2 steps, which should really save everyone a bunch of time when reloading custom resources:

1) Delete the file C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Orion\WebResourceCache.xml and

2) Restart the SolarWinds Application Pool in IIS.

After you have followed the steps above, you should be able to go customize a page, and whenever you add a new resource to the page, the resource cache file will rebuild itself, and you should see your new, or old, custom resources.

Unfortunately, you will have to repeat this process after you run/re-run the config wizard. The good news, however, it looks like you can still use your old custom resources.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Thank you,

-Will

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                  wluther

sotherls I know this thread is a bit old, however, I think I found a viable way to bypass the entire "precompiled" aspect of the new system. If still interested, you can check it out at the link below.

Disable Precompiled Web Pages; Making Custom Mods Great Again!

Thank you,

-Will