4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 5:11 PM by michael stump

IPAM not able to ping some subnets...

michael stump

...but it's not what you think. I can ping IPs from a command line on the IPAM server (Windows Server 2012R2) just fine, but when I run a manual scan from IPAM, on the same host, IPAM shows the addresses as available. Weird, right? Any suggestions?

• Re: IPAM not able to ping some subnets...
          superfly99

Is scanning turned off on the IP addresses in question? Cause I've noticed that if scanning is turned off and you manually run a scan, nothing happens.

michael stump

So I've made progress, to the point where I'm able to scan this subnet now. But I'm not certain what the fix was. In the event another hapless individual runs into this same issue, here's what I've done:

1) My IPAM server is a VM (naturally), so I added an Ethernet adapter and put it in the same VLAN I wanted to scan. I gave that adapter an IP in the subnet I wasn't able to scan previously, and confirmed via tracert at the command line that I was one hop from hosts in the targeted subnet. Yet, I wasn't able to get a response when doing a manual scan in IPAM. I rebooted the VM, but no change in result.

2) I then removed the subnet from IPAM altogether and added it back, using the exact same subnet address, mask, and VLAN ID. This time, the scans returned the expected results, and I'm able to determine IP availability for this subnet in IPAM now.

I don't know if this was a problem in the original data that I imported or what. But now I'm concerned that I've got other subnets that have this issue, so I'm going to track down subnets with 100% available addresses and run this same process. Actually, I may end up skipping step 1, just to see if removing the subnet and re-adding it is sufficient.

mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              michael stump

Hi. It's me. Again.

So I've repeated step 2 (removing the subnet from IPAM and adding it) for another subnet that was showing as 100% available (even though I was able to ping individual IPs from the IPAM host's command prompt). Problem was resolved for this subnet, too.

I think there's an issue when you important certain subnets from another IPAM solution (in my case, I imported data from EasyIPv4 via a .csv file).

HTH

mike