0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 9:35 AM by pparsaie

SolarWinds Module Ports, Protocols, and Services Management (PPSM)

pparsaie

I've been trying to put together PPSM documentation for my SolarWinds instance (NPM, NCM, NTA, IPAM, VNQM and WPM). I'm working with my IA/Security group to bring my NPM 12 (with all the latest modules) instance out of our test environment and into production to replace our current instance of SolarWinds. One of the requirements we have is to make sure the PPSM documentation is up to date. In the past it looks like we just provided a list of ports for NPM with no additional information but that's not good enough anymore. We'll be putting NSX in place in our environment as well so understanding what's going on with SolarWinds and the ports required to be open is a bigger deal. 

While looking through admin guides for the products along with the ports documentation https://support.solarwinds.com/@api/deki/files/9891/SolarWindsPortRequirements.pdf I'm still a little confused on some of the information. I'm curious if anyone knows if there is any documentation available that fills in some of the gaps?

For example when looking at NPM and the requirement for port 1801 TCP its purpose is listed as MSMQ WCF binding. Is this bidirectional traffic? What other devices send/receive messages on this port in communications with the NPM instance? Since only port 1801 is open I'm assuming its send only, but what is NPM sending to?

In the admin guide for NPM and SAM there is no mention of DPA on Orion, but in the port requirement documentation there is. Looking at this documentation there is a requirement to have port 17776 open/used. I can't find reference to this anywhere else. Is this the "DPA" I see in my installation? At the bottom of my SolarWinds pages I see DPA in the list even though I don't have the full blown DPA: Orion Platform 2015.1.3, VNQM 4.2.3, IPAM 4.3, SAM 6.2.3, DPA 10.0.1, NCM 7.4.1, IVIM 2.1.1, QoE 2.0, NPM 11.5.3, NTA 4.1.2, WPM 2.2.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.