16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2017 12:30 PM by jburke

    SAM RC 6.3 Not good

    goodzhere

      Our environment was UDT 3.2.4, IPAM 4.3.1, DPA 10.2.579, NPM 12.0, IVIM 2.1.2, and SAM 6.2.4.

      I did the upgrade from DPA 10.0.1 to 10.2.579 first.  No issues other than the NPM website not showing that it had been upgraded.  I then tried to upgrade NPM 12.0 to NPM 12.0.1 and the installer fussed at me that I needed to upgrade IPAM first.

      I then went on and did the IPAM upgrade from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2.  I had to manually close the Alerting service.

      I had to restart the server after this install.

      Overall, this went very smooth.  No issues that I am aware of to report.

      I then went on to upgrade NPM from 12.0 to 12.0.1.

      The installer took quite a while to open to the wizard.  It took a bit longer than the upgrade to NPM 12.0.   During the installer, it complained that I need to stop the following services.  This was strange and new to any upgrade that I have done before.

      I stopped all these services and continued.   The wizard took a long time to run.  Then I got this error.

       

      I rebooted the server and then ran the configuration wizard again.  This configuration wizard takes a lot longer than previous versions.  The “migrating advanced alerts” takes a very long time. It took so long that I thought the wizard might have got hung.  It finally finished without the above error.

      Then I moved on to the upgrade of SAM from 6.2.4 to 6.3.  Wizard asked to stop the WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery service.  I selected yes and continued.  At the end of the install, I found that the RabbitMQ Server (SolarWinds Distribution) service would not stay running.  I did the following to try to fix it:

      1. 1.Uninstall "RabbitMQ Server (SolarWinds Distribution)" from Programs and Features
      2. 2.Delete C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Orion\RabbitMQ
      3. 3.Delete the service control entry with 'sc delete rabbitmq' from the command line
      4. 4.Delete the 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ericsson' key from the registry.
      5. 5.Install C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Installers\SolarWinds.RabbitMQ.Install.msi.
      6. 6.Run the services section of the Configuration Wizard.

       

        I ran the configuration wizard again and had no issues. This seems to have also resolved the issue with the “migrating advanced alerts” hanging.  I will continue to monitor the install to ensure there is nothing wrong.  I have found there to be events displaying stating that the SAM components are not licensed.  It shows SAM licensed on the server and in the web license manager.  We also have an unlimited license.  I rebooted the server and I haven't seen them come back within the last 10 minutes.  The website seemed to be running slow and there were connection issues to the database showing on the website.  I reran the configuration wizard and selected Services, Database, and Website.  I also let the website optimization run. 

      The website is now super slow.  The Orion Server Application is showing unknown status.  All the SAM application monitor come up really slow on the website.  My website has never been this slow.   This install seems like 10 steps back from the last one.  The last one was so smooth.  I am disappointed to say the least.

       

      And to top it off, I'm getting license restraints in SAM for an unlimited license that shows as valid.  Makes no sense at all.

       

      I have 4 other installations that I want to do this upgrade on, but I can't recommend it in this current state.