This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NetPath Alerting

Good morning all. There is a scenario in which I'm not sure the available NetPath alerting parameters would catch. I'm very open to being incorrect in this observation, which is why I believe it is best to ask the professionals.

My employer has WAN failover paths (GRE w/ IPsec Tunnels) to each of our remote offices. This, of course, is in place in the case BGP adjacency to any of these sites is lost for any reason. Once the BGP holddown timer is exceeded, EIGRP is configured to converge all routes to the affected site through its respective tunnel. This would all happen within 2 minutes' time.

I see that there are two different NetPath alerting instances available with NPM v12. They are NetPath Endpoint Service Assignments and NetPath Probe. Neither of these instances have Events that can be alerted on. Netpath Endpoint Service Assignments does have an alerting option for "LastStatus" which seems to be useful in this case. However, there may be an issue with this alerting field (listed below):

NetPath Endpoing Service Assignments - LastStatus - is not equal to - Good

Solarwinds advises customers to keep the NetPath polling intervals at the default of 10 minutes.  If BGP adjacency to a remote office, in my employer's network, were to be lost and EIGRP convergence occurred within the 10 minute polling interval, will NPM see the path in the "good" state the next time a poll is performed?

In the end, the primary question that I have is.. can NPM/NetPath be configured to alert if the path to an endpoint changes in any way, either by hop count or next hop IP address(es)?

• Yes. it can.  If you go into "All Settings, Manage Alerts", look for one that specifies "path to google changed" and copy and edit it for your specific ip address.  I just started setting this up for out remote sites.  You will want to setup in Netpath 1 path to each site ( it started to alert me for each path to the site had changed thats why i say one path to each site).  Its pretty straight forward, but if you need more assistance let me know.  There are a few other items out there that go into more detail about this when i find them i will post a link for you.

• Hi,

Can someone explain to me what is the reason that I received this ' Send alert email when the path to Google was changed'? Can I turn off this alert message?

• I know this is an old post, but I am curious about the BGP/EIGRP setup you mention here.

Plus do you watch internal as well as external paths? In our case, we have backend links to each DC and our HQ, plus we have Internet circuits to each as well. We serve sites from the DCs to our clients, but not from our HQ. So monitoring ports (80/443, etc.) makes sense for DCs, but not for HQ where we don't serve anything externally, so have you a solution with netpath for that?

Thanks