This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cannot use interface custom properties in Alerts

I have created some custom properties but I am having a lot of difficulty getting them to cooperate with the alerting system.

First time I tried it the value refused to show using the "integer value," so I deleted the alert and the custom properties and changed it to a text value.

It still will not show up:

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

So I deleted everything and started over creating both CustomerID and CustomerNumber both as Text Values. CustomerNumber still produces the same effect as above, while CustomerID does not even show up in the list of custom properties to choose from:

pastedImage_4.png

What is going on here??

• Im having the same problem but with Node custom properties.  Not sure whats going on.  We're on 12.0.1, which one are you on?

• The alert variables depend on what you chose on the 'I WANT TO ALERT on' part of the Trigger Conditions.

Try looking at the Trigger Condition(s) tab of the Alert in question.

Does it say 'I WANT TO ALERT on NODE' or 'I WANT TO ALERT on INTERFACE'?

Now regarding the CustomerID custom property not showing up, try waiting a bit longer like for another 10-15 minutes. If after that time you still don't see CustomerID, maybe you need to restart all InformationService related services in Orion Service Manager on your main polling engine and on the additional web server(s) if you have any.

Hope this helps.

• I don't believe that is true at all.  I have plenty of rules that alert on other objects besides "Node" but I still have access to the nodes custom properties in the alert actions. 

To multipl3x's issue, I'm having the same thing.  My  alert condition object is node (in this case):

pastedImage_0.png

I have a handful of CPs:

pastedImage_1.png

Yet, when I go to trigger actions, I dont see all of the CPs, Ive created available to me, and in fact I see description is available but is not even a defined CP anymore...

pastedImage_2.png

• Yes, you are correct. Alert on other objects besides "Node" will still have access to the nodes custom properties in the alert actions.

However, the full format of the alert variable will be dependent on the option you chose on the I WANT TO ALERT on field in the trigger condition tab.

For instance, a node object has a Caption property, a default one for the node name. On the other hand, an interface object also has a Caption property, a default one for the interface name.

If the alert is using I WANT TO ALERT ON INTERFACE, and you choose to add both the node caption and the interface caption alert variables, you'll immediately notice a difference in the full format of the alert variable.

Or say that you have a node custom property called 'customerID' and an interface custom property called 'customerID' as well. You can put both custom properties in the body of the alert email message via alert variables. However, the full format of the alert variable will be different for each. This is what I meant when I mentioned that the alert variable is dependent on the option you chose on the I WANT TO ALERT on field.

Now regarding the custom properties not showing up, maybe you need to restart all InformationService related services in Orion Service Manager on your main polling engine and on the additional web server(s) if you have any.

• Ok, I see what you were referring to. Yes I understand that part. 

I think you're right, I'm planning to bounce services later today.  Hopefully that solves it.

• Please let us know. If that resolves this for you we will plan on doing the same. emoticons_wink.png

• Rebooting services did the trick and I now see the custom property I created available in the select variables box.  Whats weird is I still see description as a custom property.  Why is that weird?  Because I deleted Description...  But at least I got what I was after.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png