This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

3rd party installation - Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.7

I found other articles about installing SEP but they didn't apply to my situation.  I was able to package and install previous versions and they would install without issue (12.1.5, 12.1.6)

The SEP client is in EXE format and is configured to install silently without reboot.  When I copy the EXE and run it to the server it installs as it should.

Currently when I deploy the application I get one of two results.

• Install failed. Fatal error during installation HRESULT: 0x80070643
    • This occurs on 2012R2 servers
    • The application does get installed, this may be a return code issue?
  • Update not applicable for install. Unable to find the Update by ID to perform the requested operation. The update may not be applicable for the selected computer Result Code 0x80240003
    • This seems to only occur on 2008R2 servers

Perhaps my logic is not sound, here are the rules for the package.  This is intended to upgrade all servers that do not have the latest version installed.  So all servers should have the reg key for an older version.

-<sdp:PrerequisiteRule SchemaVersion="1.0">

-<lar:And>

<bar:Processor Architecture="9"/>

<bar:WindowsVersion Comparison="GreaterThanOrEqualTo"MajorVersion="6"MinorVersion="0"ServicePackMajor="0"ServicePackMinor="0"/>

</lar:And>

</sdp:PrerequisiteRule>

-<sdp:ApplicabilityRule SchemaVersion="1.0">

<bar:RegSzToVersion Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"Subkey="SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\CurrentVersion"Value="PRODUCTVERSION"RegType32="true"Comparison="LessThan"Data="12.1.7004.6500"/>

</sdp:ApplicabilityRule>

-<sdp:InstalledRule SchemaVersion="1.0">

<msiar:MsiProductInstalled ProductCode="{F90EEB64-A4CB-484A-8666-812D9F92B37B}"/>

</sdp:InstalledRule>

I read that the applicability and installed rules are usually the same but I thought I'd use the MSI installed code.  I will change this if needed. 

I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious.  Thanks for any advice or suggestions.