This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Active Directory login log file?

Hello everyone. After some recent changes and migrating our Solarwinds installation to another domain I can no longer manage to log into Solarwinds with admin rights. We have confirmed that I'm in the same AD security group as others that are able to see the Admin features after logging into Solarwinds, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of the log file involved in AD logins. Thanks!

• Andrewg84 - All login attempts on a Domain Controller are logged to the Security Log on that server (by default).  I am unclear about your problem: 1. Can't log into SolarWinds, or 2. Can log into SolarWinds, but not getting Admin rights.   And I have one suggestion:  ensure you use the domain name in front of your username, so the right DC looks at the login request  (e.g.:  newdomain\yourusername, vice yourusername).

• Take a look at a log file called c:\programdata\solarwinds\logs\orion\orionweb.log it should show your attempt to log in to the web console.

• Thanks for the response. Sorry for the confusion, I am able to log into Solarwinds, but I'm no longer getting Admin rights. We are using a CAC/smart card login, but I did confirm that the correct (new) domain is being used in the login ID. What's odd, is that once logged in, in the upper-right corner of Solarwinds the security group shown that I'm using to log in is showing the non-admin group on the old domain. I removed myself from that security group on the old domain several days ago and only have myself in the admin security group within the new domain. I've cleared the cache from Internet Options, thinking the browser was still hanging onto a cookie, but several days later I continue to show that I'm signed into that security group on the old domain that I'm no longer even a member of.

• Thank you for the help. I located and opened the log file that you mentioned, but for some reason I'm not seeing anything regarding my login ID aside from 08/02/2016. My computer is restarted daily, and my browser cleans cache every time it is closed, and even after just now logging off and logging back into Solarwinds I closed and opened the log again and still nothing new regarding my login ID.

By the way, I logged in with a different browser after clearing its cache as well and I am still experience the same issue. If anyone has any additional ideas/suggestions I sure would appreciate it. Thanks everyone.

• So another thing I found interesting is that I manually logged in (instead of CAC with single sign-on) using another account of mine on the new domain, that's a member of the correct admin security group also on the new domain, and once I get logged in Solarwinds shows me logged in as the other account on the new domain I had been logging in with (but not the one I just entered the username/pw for), as well as the same security group on the old domain that I'm no longer a member of. Essentially, I see the same, identical login information (newdomain\username and olddomain\security group) that I see with the other account on the new domain that I have been trying to get to work.

It seems like Solarwinds is caching something somehow, since I feel like I have ruled out the browser(s) at this point. Any ideas?