9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 2:55 PM by scottshackleton

Error 5.7.57 SMTP

scottshackleton

When I configure my Orion NPM "Default Send Email Action" I specify a return email address (Office 365 distribution group) that authenticates with a specific mailbox that has "Send As" permission for the distribution group. When I "Send Test Email", everything works great and I receive the email as a member of the distribution group. However, when I am supposed to get a real alert, I get an error:

"Sending the email to %DistributionGroup% with subject ALERT: %ServerHostname% has rebooted. using SMTP Server smtp.office365.com failed. The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.57 SMTP; Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM"

• I am not attempting to send anonymous mail.
      • Test email works and I receive the message so authentication is not the issue.
      • Yes, we are using TCP\587 TLS.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be the case?

Thank you,

Scott Shackleton

• Re: Error 5.7.57 SMTP
          rickrocks

Hello,

Make sure to input correct network credentials on your SMTP settings. Also, the TCP port must be 587 if you are using smtp.office365.com as your mail server.

scottshackleton

Thank you. I was able to send the test email with the proper credentials and TCP port (yes, tcp\587), so those aren't the issue.

neomatrix1217

What does it say in this log file c:\programdata\solarwinds\logs\orion\ActionsExecution.log

scottshackleton

*** Actions Execution v2016.1.5300.1028, .Net Runtime v4.0.30319 ***

*** Assembly SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions, Version=2016.1.5300.1028, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null, .NET version v4.0.30319 ***

2016-08-01 15:00:02,167 [127] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Impl.Email.EmailMethodInvoker - Test for SMTP server (smtp.office365.com:587, SSL enabled, Authentication enabled) failed

System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.57 SMTP; Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM

at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String response)

at System.Net.Mail.MailCommand.Send(SmtpConnection conn, Byte[] command, MailAddress from, Boolean allowUnicode)

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, Boolean allowUnicode, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Utility.Smtp.Clients.NativeSmtpClient.Send()

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Impl.Email.EmailMethodInvoker.SendTestEmail(String args)

2016-08-01 15:11:06,434 [226] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Impl.Email.EmailMethodInvoker - Test for SMTP server (smtp.office365.com:587, SSL enabled, Authentication enabled) failed

System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.7.60 SMTP; Client does not have permissions to send as this sender

at System.Net.Mail.DataStopCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String serverResponse)

at System.Net.Mail.DataStopCommand.Send(SmtpConnection conn)

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.OnClose(Object sender, EventArgs args)

at System.Net.ClosableStream.Close()

at System.Net.Mail.MailWriter.Close()

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Utility.Smtp.Clients.NativeSmtpClient.Send()

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Impl.Email.EmailMethodInvoker.SendTestEmail(String args)