This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Java Updates: Difference between 101 and 102?

This isn't a SolarWinds PM discussion but more of a Oracle Java discussion.  Does anyone understand why you typically see two updates at a time from Oracle when it comes to Java?  At least the last two times, I have noticed two updates.  Previously we had Java 8u91 and 8u92, and now we have Java 8u101 and 8u102.  Why both? and why do you select one over the other?  Thanks!!

•   Basically 8u101 contains security updates and 8u102 contains the security updates and new features. I normally stick with the lower one. From Oracle web site:

pastedImage_0.png

• I saw the comment about new features when Java RE 8u91 and 8u92 were released.  So if 8u91 had just security updates, and 8u92 had security updates and new features, does 8u101 have the new features that were introduced with 8u92?  Does that question make sense? 

• yes it makes sense and yes that is correct

• JRE is an acronym for  Java Runtime Environment . It is an implementation of the Java Virtual machine, which actually executes Java programs. It includes the  JVM (Java Virtual machine), core libraries and other additional components to run applications and applets written in Java. The  JDK  is a superset of the  JRE , and contains everything that is in the JRE, plus tools such as the compilers and debuggers necessary for developing  applets  and applications. It also includes browser  plugins for Applet execution. The JRE does not contain tools and utilities such as compilers or debuggers for developing applets and applications.

Balmer