mehmoodakhan Just a little bit of clarification, if you don't mind...
How is your Orion environment setup? (Which versions of which SolarWinds modules to you have installed/running, and how many of what types of servers is it all setup/running on?)
Do you already have an additional polling engine (APE), and want to know how to upgrade it?
Or, do you want to know how to upgrade a single polling environment to a multi-polling environment?
In regards to upgrades in general, you SHOULD retain historic data/logs. However, it is always a good idea to backup your DB before upgrading anything. Also, depending on the versions you are upgrading from, and the versions you are upgrading to, there is a very good chance that the upgrade will shift data to new tables. Usually, when this happens, the devs do a pretty good job of building views to accommodate backwards compatibility for reporting.
Hopefully I understood your question properly, however, if I did not, then please provide more information, and we will get you fixed up with a better answer.
4 of 4 people found this helpful
mehmoodakhan, here are some links you may find helpful for preparing and doing your upgrade to NPM 12:
- Upgrade Guide: NPM Upgrade Guide - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support
- The new Stand Alone Installer: Using the improved standalone installer for product upgrades and installations - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Sup…
- The Product Upgrade Advisor: Product Upgrade Advisor | SolarWinds Customer Portal
- The Compatibility Listing: NPM 12.0 Compatibility - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support
- The Release Notes: NPM 12.0 Release Notes - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support
- The System Requirements: NPM 12.0 system requirements - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support
Good reading, and good luck!
There is a single upgrade installer for additional polling engines that installs every module you have on your system. During the upgrade Solarwinds will not be polling elements.