0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 9:09 AM by markobrien

Create a SQL View in Database Manager

markobrien

I am trying to build a view in SQL (note - NOT an Orion View) through queries in the Database Manager. When I enter the following query:

SELECT CustomPollerStatistics.RowID, CustomPollerStatistics.Status AS NeighborLinkAddr, CustomPollerAssignmentView.NodeID, CustomPollerStatistics.DateTime

FROM CustomPollerStatistics

INNER JOIN CustomPollerAssignmentView

ON CustomPollerAssignmentView.CustomPollerAssignmentID=CustomPollerStatistics.CustomPollerAssignmentID

WHERE CustomPollerAssignmentView.CustomPollerName='ospfNbrIpAddr'

I get the table that I expect as a result. However, when I attempt to make a view from the query as follows:

CREATE VIEW OSPFNbrLink AS

SELECT CustomPollerStatistics.RowID, CustomPollerStatistics.Status AS NeighborLinkAddr, CustomPollerAssignmentView.NodeID, CustomPollerStatistics.DateTime

ON CustomPollerAssignmentView.CustomPollerAssignmentID=CustomPollerStatistics.CustomPollerAssignmentID

WHERE CustomPollerAssignmentView.CustomPollerName='ospfNbrIpAddr'

I get this in the "Messages" tab:

Msg 111, Level 15, State 1, Line 1

'CREATE VIEW' must be the first statement in a query batch.

Msg 111, Level 15, State 1, Line 1

'CREATE VIEW' must be the first statement in a query batch.

In a search, I found that preceding the expression with "exec" and wrapping the expression with ('') will avoid this message. I enter:

exec

('CREATE VIEW OSPFNbrLink AS

WHERE CustomPollerAssignmentView.CustomPollerName='ospfNbrIpAddr'')  NOTE - those are two single asterisks at the end of ospfNbrIpAddr, not a single closing quotation mark

And the "Message" tab says:

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 7

Incorrect syntax near 'ospfNbrIpAddr'.

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 7

Incorrect syntax near 'ospfNbrIpAddr'.

So, progress, I guess (An issue shows up on Line 7 instead of Line 1).

Does anyone know why the syntax is incorrect when trying to make this view when it is just fine as a simple query?

Thanks in advance.