9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2017 7:28 AM by bvondeylen

Barcode Scanners and WHD?

ctaveras

I've seen some old THWACK articles discussing the subject, but I was looking to find something new. Has anyone used barcode scanners and then imported their assets into WHD? If so what did you use?

Currently about to begin a massive inventory journey of devices that have long been offline and are soon to be scrapped, but I wanted to make sure we stored the information somewhere like WHD.

I saw some posts discussing scanning the information into an excel sheet and then making sure its to the same format as the CSV template for import, but I was also wondering if anyone had tried a mobile solution using an iphone or android device to capture the barcode.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Barcode Scanners and WHD?
          mguizzetti

I just tried the Wasp barcode scanner (WLR8950) to scan an asset, it scanned into WHD and auto saved.  Does not seem to have any issues.

ctaveras

Were you able to scan the stock barcodes on the devices or do you produce your own barcoded asset tags?

mguizzetti

yes to both, I produce my own barcoded asset tags from a Panduit TDP43ME printer and I scan serial numbers from stock barcodes.

ctaveras

What kind of info do you get off the stock barcodes? Just the serials? I am asking because we currently have no asset tagging system so we are completely reliant on the network discovery feature for asset management. I'm planning of deploying an asset tag system for our next rollout, but wanted to know how much manual input would be neccessary for each asset as far as entering info like make and model.

mguizzetti

It depends on the manufacture, some provide more info in bar code format then others, sometimes you can get MAC address from a barcode. I would say the majority of the time we just pull serial from the stock and asset from our printed tags.  The rest has been manual entry. I've never tried setting up a QR code, maybe you could pack all the data in the one code.  I'm actually setting up discovery over ARD and WMI currently which looks like it will get our Apple and Windows devices.  Still not sure how I will discover Network devices, Printers, ipads, Chromebooks, and other various devices.

baileysh

I've been using a Follett 3800g scanner, no problems here so far.

grreyes

All, I am new to this and we are also seeking a barcode scanner that could be integrated with our Web Helpdesk. Based on your comments with these scanners, was the integration easy to do? was there a third party tool that you have used to populate the scanned info into SWHD?

bvondeylen

It is easy to do, but I would also recommend that if you are doing a LOT (more than 100), I would scan the Asset Tag# and Serial Number into a spreadsheet and then import that information into WHD. It will be much quicker. That is how we updated our inventory this past summer when we purchased 2000 iPads.

grreyes

I was able to make my Unitech MS250 barcode scanner to work. Data is scanned into an excel template downloaded from SWHD. You need to use this template you download from SWHD to import the scanned data. I use the code to scan the serial number of the PC and we fill in the rest of the info in the template. We let Auto Discovery and WMI do the rest and fill out the rest of the data once we have the asset imported. NOTE: Only thing that does not get filled in is the Client Name when Auto Discovery runs, you will need to fill this info in the Template or manually assign the asset within SWHD.

Now I am trying to find out how I can use the same process for my decommissioned/surplus equipment and also automate the import process in order for data to be reflect in SWHD w/o any manual steps.