This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Trouble with running more that 10 threads at a time

I am running into an issue and I can quite pin it down. If I try to run a wr mem command to all my devices if I run more than ten threads at a time the whole process drags to a crawl. The network utilization isn't very high and cattools is running on a fairly new dell poweredge. Has anyone else ran into the same issue, or have a possible solution?

• Are you seeing any out of memory errors?

• I believe I found the solution. I had created my own wr mem task to save the running-config to the startup-config and then copy the config via tftp to an old work station I had sitting around that I was re-utilizing as off server storage for the configs. When I changed the actions to wr the configs to the CatTools server they ran instantly. I was able to utilize the entire 20 threads without a long pause.  So my final solution is to write the configs to an external hard drive and then create a scheduled task to transfer the configs off the server to the old machine using file sharing.

Here is the optional alternate commands from the manual and the correct way to setup a remote storage option.

Optional alternate list of commands: To use this option remove the tick from the 'File to write to TFTP Server' checkbox (see below). Some of the CatTools device scripts will have a default set of commands that can be used to generate and TFTP the config for this activity. However, should there be no default commands for your device you can use this box to enter your own. Below is an example of the sort of commands you may enter; copy running-config tftp: 10.190.2.98 %ctDeviceName-Running-Config NOTE: When specifying the name of the file to be written it must include the %ctDeviceName filename variables as CatTools will use this to correctly identify the file for the compare.

If you want to use the default list of commands (where available) to TFTP the file tick this box. Enter the name of the file you want to TFTP in the text box. i.e. running-config, vlan.dat etc. Current file: Specifies the folder and file name of where to store the current file. (By default this will be in the configs folder and use 'Config.Current.Running' as part of the file name as the most common use case for this activity is to backup the config by TFTP.) This will also be the filename that the file downloaded by TFTP will be compared against. Default: ...\Configs\%GroupName%\Config.Current.Running.%BaseFile%.txt The variables %GroupName% and %BaseFile% will be replaced at run time and produce a folder and file name. For example: C:\Program files\Cattools\Configs\Default\Config.Current.Running.Sales_Router.txt This value is where any new configuration files will be stored. If an existing file exists a comparison will be done against the newly downloaded file. If there are no changes, no files will be modified.