2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2016 11:01 AM by havox

How to monitor number of VMs in a folder?

havox

We have an automated system that creates VMs in a particular folder.  I would like to be able to monitor the number of VMs in that folder every few hours or so.  In VMAN, I can see the total number of VMs across my environment, but I haven't figured out how to filter on a particular vCenter and folder.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

• Re: How to monitor number of VMs in a folder?
          Milan_Volejnik

Jon,

you can search for VMs by a vm.folder.name attribute (and/or by cluster.name, host.name if there's the same folder name in other vCenters). How to do that? By Trends or Alerts.

A) Trends (VMs per Folder)

- perform a search query: vm.folder.name:* (or vm.folder.name:Folder_name to get VMs from a particular Folder_name folder only) and press "Trend Results" button

- if you specified the folder name then just save the newly created trend. Otherwise set Segmentation to /virtualMachine/folder/name.

And here's result:

Note: Trends are evaluated every four hours. If you want to change the interval then it's necessary to change the Hourly Interval for Trend Execution property in Setup - Advanced Setup - System Properties menu.

Similarly you can create a new alert. Feel free to ask for further help.

1 of 1 people found this helpful