4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 11:55 AM by timhorton

Install pre-downloaded patches with Patch Manager.

timhorton

I searched for related terms prior to opening this thread, so please forgive me if a topic already exists.

At work we have one Patch Manager server and two WSUS servers.

In the past we had configured Windows Update on clients to auto download and notify for install through a GPO. Once we began using Patch Manager we noticed the jobs would download the updates again before proceeding to install so we changed the policy to notify for download and notify for install.

One of the longest parts of a patch job can be the downloading of updates.

Is there a way to configure a job to install updates that are currently downloaded?

It would save us a fair amount of time if we could do that.

Thank you.

• Re: Install pre-downloaded patches with Patch Manager.
          frgpugs

If you went back to the first way of not notifying for the download and set a detection task in patch manager then once that detection ran and determined the computers needed updates they will start to download.  If you manually run a detect now it will trigger update downloads as well.  I run 2 detect now and 2 report now tasks a day, once in the morning and once around 6pm.  I definitely have users with a download and notify GPO and it works very well that way.

timhorton

Thank you for your response.

Please let me clarify.

No matter the status of downloaded patches is on a client, Patch Manager will initiate a download of all needed patches before patch installation will proceed.

Example 1: CLT12x needs 12 patches, and has already downloaded the 12 patches. Once a Patch Manager Update Management Wizard job has been submitted the client downloads the updates then installs the updates.

Example 2: CLT13x needs 12 patches, and has not downloaded the 12 patches. Once a Patch Manager Update Management Wizard job has been submitted the client downloads the updates then installs the updates.

What I would like: CLT14x needs 12 patches, and has already downloaded the 12 patches. Once a Patch Manager Update Management Wizard job has been submitted the client begins installing the patches.

I hope this makes my question clearer.

frgpugs

If you are setting the group policy for AU to download and notify it should exhibit the behavior you would like.  I cant say ive ever had a problem with the updates re-downloading so im not sure ill be much help with it sorry

Heres the settings for my GPO if it helps?

timhorton

I am going to be applying a patch set soon to our test systems. Maybe I can modify the GPO to setting 3 (download and notify for install) then take screen shots.

What has happened in the past is Patch Manager still initiates a download from the source, in our case WSUS.

Example: KB3115306 is available from WSUS and has already been downloaded to the system. We initiate a patch session through Update Management Wizard, and examine the job log in Patch Manager. It shows that the KB3115306 will be downloaded from the source, then shows KB3115306 being installed.