33 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2017 10:11 AM by rschroeder

NetPath Accuracy

mtoto

I have a Netpath connection from my Solarwinds Orion server to a customer.  This first connection on the path shows a 30% packet loss w/ 13ms latency.  This is my local firewall.  Pinging the firewall from my Solarwinds Orion server directly reports back 1ms, and no packet loss.  Any ideas?  The reason in the image for the subnet change - this firewall has multiple LAN and WAN addresses.  I'm assuming NPM is using the default LAN address, even though Solarwinds is using 10.101.101.1 to get out.  To verify it's not a routing issue I've also pinged 10.0.1.1 from Solarwinds and received the same result from pinging 10.101.101.1 - low latency and no packet loss.

firewall_high_latency.JPG firewall_high_latency2.JPG

• Re: NetPath Accuracy
          slebbon

Just a thought, but it's a firewall/security device right? Does it have 'dynamic' or behavior based rules that block/filter 'suspicious' traffic?  The scanning traffic from NetPath might be triggering some protections and it might rate-limit or block some of the traffic?  Is there a way to white-list the solarwinds server in it's rules?

jeff.stewart

There is a hotfix for NPM that should address the 13ms latency issue between those two devices. Can you apply that and see if it helps?

Jeff

mtoto

Thank you all for the suggestions.   Jeff - thanks for the heads up on the hotfix.  That did fix my gateway latency issue.  Still seeing a lot of packet loss - maybe that's legit and I need to figure that one out.

Thank you.

vmorales1234

We have applied the NPM hotfix that fixes the long latency report for first hop.  However, we are seeing the same packet loss issue from the core switch to our enclave firewall, and between the edge router to the perimeter firewall.  The packet loss reported by netpath is between 30% to 50% at times.  Can someone explain how netpath calculates the packet loss, and is there any issue specifically with the hops to Cisco ASA firewalls, because that seems to be the common element.

We are looking at the hardware, but we don't want to waste time on troubleshooting if this is a known issue.

Thanks

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  kv@mcg.dk

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a fix for the packets loss issue ?

We are currently running NPM 12.0.1 and are seeing packets loss above 40% where there most likely is none.

With a packets loss of 40% between the probe and destination, the network would be unusable.

rschroeder

If you haven't already verified or resolved the packet loss issue, what have you done to prove there's loss, or no loss?

If you remoted into your NPM poller that says there's packet loss, and set a steady ping to nodes that show high packet loss in NPM, your results should prove whether there is packet loss.  Have you tried confirming using pings?

byrona

I have basically done all of those things.  NPM shows no packet loss dropped/discards on any of the interfaces.  A continuous ping (while I realize this is not what NetPath does it's still a valid test) also shows no packet loss.  Also, with packet loss as high as is being indicated the application wouldn't work and it's working just fine.

rschroeder

The only other test might be to send fully-loaded packets in the ping and verify the larger packets (1500 bytes) are not being dropped.  Use "ping x.x.x.x -t -w 1 -l 1500".  Ordinary ping tests from windows boxes only send 32 bytes of data instead of 1500.

I've seen cases where small (default) ping packets pass successfully, but packets larger than a specific size (e.g.: 1424, 1432, 1472, 1488) were dropped.  This was caused by intermediate equipment not being able to handle the required packet sizes for q-in-q.  "Normal" traffic, like typical PC and ICMP tests, all worked perfectly.  "Special" traffic that required all 1500 bytes, plus 22 more for tagging VLANs inside WAN provider VLANs, were dropping.

In that case the WAN provider's gear couldn't handle packets larger than 1500, while our WAN routers' MTU's handled up to 1532 quite nicely.  The WAN provider had to replace their gear with something more robust.

If your fully loaded packets fail, then it's time to open a technical support case with your network hardware service provider and find out why.

If they DON'T fail, it's time for a technical support call to SW to get resolution.

Always assuming your interface stats on the NPM poller and the polled device show no errors, no loss.

worto03

I'm seeing this too, has anyone raised it with SW?  It doesn't happen to all netpaths but we have some that show high packet loss and from what I can tell it's not a real issue.

A tcping on the same port shows no packet loss & there are no complaints from customers whose traffic would be using this route.