4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2016 2:02 PM by mesverrum

Using custom charts to monitor interface availability

rik

Hello,

I have a few environmental sensors that run off some batteries, We're having some issue with the phase coming into the building and it trips these devices to fail over to the second battery.

What my boss requires me to do is create a chart in SolarWinds to monitor the state change on the APCs to see it fail over to the other battery, so I can then give it to the facilities people to actually do something about the phase.

I've been looking around the different types of charts and don't seem to be able to find one to display what I require they all seems to want to monitor multiple nodes or not get to the OID you want to actually monitor with a graph, they end up being to top level to even view this information,

I'm after a chart that enable me to have a battery on the chart in which when being used is true and when it's not it is false... I've attached a picture of what I'm trying to get.

Something similar would be desirable, I'm quite new to using the monitor graphs so please don't hesitate to tell I'm missing something completely.

Kind Regards,

Rikkk

• Re: Using custom charts to monitor interface availability
          rik

So far, I found this is the only chart that will display the source OID information I'm looking for ...

Tabular Universal Device Poller

Thanks,

Rikki

mesverrum

What you are looking for is a resource called the Universal Device Poller Summary Chart and it will only show data if the correct custom poller is set up on the NPM server and it set to keep historical data, which if you downloaded the UnDP from Thwack I will say it probably isnt retaining historical data right now.

I turned on the historical data in my lab and set the chart to display that poller on one of my APC's and it looks like below. I only have one data point because it wasn't keeping history until a few minutes ago.  The tricky part is that there are several states beside just 0 and 1 that the status poller returns, so you may need to translate from the numbers to their friendly names, i captured this list from the undp tool.  A colleague of mine adds custom html resources to the views with charts like this to act as a legend clarifying what each state means.  In this case 2 is pretty much normal and 3 would probably be what you see during a power event.

You can also add the Universal Device Poller Status resource to the view and it should enumerate the values into friendly names automatically for you (assuming the enumeration is in the solarwinds MIB, and all the good APC stuff already is)

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  rik

Hello,

Thanks for this, It has really helped me out getting the graphs required

I've managed to work out what graphs do what.... The names though, they're so bad! they're pretty much the same name but do slightly different things and found it difficult to distinguish between the universal device poller charts ... SolarWinds, please fix!

Otherwise the information you provided me with really did help and I'm now able to see the input voltage/output percentage, estimated time remaining on the batteries and the condition of the batteries too... the only thing I can't get to work is the alarms on the thing .... they need to be represented as a table ... But I'll work that one out, I just needed an insight from someone whom know what they're doing here.

So thanks again.

Rikki