14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 9:01 AM by shaun_9999

HDD thresholds.

shaun_9999

Good afternoon.

I am seeking (A little more) advice.

I am looking to find a way to change the HDD thresholds.  I have the option to change global thresholds, but not individual servers.  I have done some searching online and found there is a way to do it, but from what I have read, I would need SAM 6.2 or later (we are using SAM 6.2.2)

Is it a feature that hasn't been enabled/installed/not available?  Or am I being dim and simply not seeing it.thresholds..png

• Re: HDD thresholds.
          ederdal

<>

Hi Shaun,

go to settings>manage nodes...select the node en detail and expand

Select the tick box para el* volume and 'edit properties'

'override Orion Capacity Thresholds and voila:

/Derek

</>

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              shaun_9999

I am unsure, but I think that a filter is stopping .png files being sent as I sent a picture of what I receive on my screen.

When I try to change the individual properties on a node I only get the following threshold options:

CPU load

Memory Useage

Response Time

Percent packet loss.

I cannot see one that says ‘disk space’ or ‘drive capacity’

ederdal

Hi Shaun,

That's why you have to go to the individual volume and not the node!

If you go to manage nodes and follow the steps above you will see it:

Regards,

Derek

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      shaun_9999

OMG I **** so badly.  My sincere apologies for me being stupid.  Why is it like that and not on the node itself?  I can see why you would have it like that.

Ignore me.  Your work here is done.  Thank you for your assistance on thie.

Regards

Shaun

ederdal

No probs Shaun! TBH it would be great if it was all listed under the edit node page with the other thresholds!

Feel free to add feature requests and/or vote on existing feature requests!

Best regards,

Derek

shaun_9999

I do have another question.  So I have changed the thresholds, but am still receiving alerts that the drive is running out of room.  I have waited some time for the pollers to update (the pollers are set to 125 seconds and I have waiting 22 minutes) so I am now wondering if it's simply solarwinds reporting that the drive is getting full.

esxl drive.pngdrive thresholds.png

I have included a couple of pictures that demonstrates what I mean. (I have set the drive thresholds to 95% and 97% respectively) so am I right in thinking that the drives are simply being displayed as being full, or do I have to wait longer for them to be seen as not full?

ederdal

Hi Shaun,

Unfortunately the thresholds you can set for the individual volumes don't work for the alerts. it just works for the volume resource percentage slider. To set the alerts on volumes, you are best to use custom properties to group them and set the percentage per custom property, as opposed to saying when volume goes into critical....

/Derek

shaun_9999

Thank you for your time on this.  I feel some solarwinds training might be in order as I don't know anything about it.

With regards to setting your own custom properties, would it be required to be scripted (eg - something like this: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-172288) or, is there a way to do it either in the solarwinds web/on the orion server?

l1xluger

Shaun_9999

it really depends on how you want to setup the drives to alerts. The way we do them here is based on conditions setup in alert.

Below you can see we set conditions. if those conditions are meet then we get an alert on the drive. This is a universal alert where two conditions have to be met:

Volume percent of 95% reached and Space available less than 1GB. You can configure alerts to generated based on your organization needs.

orionresponse.JPG

shaun_9999

So, I will show you what I would like, though I feel from speaking to an engineer at solarwinds, the options I have are either remove the drive from being monitored, or remove the top 10 from the home page.

Currently our top 10 of disk space used looks like this:

drive thresholds.png

But our manager would like it to look like this:

thresholds2.png

Again, from what the engineer was saying that we can't just have it blank if you have nodes that are being monitored, because of the way that solarwinds interacts with nodes.  Our option from solarwinds. is to either simply remove the frame, or remove the drive from monitoring.

mesverrum

I've got a swql query I wrote that will properly display disks based on their warning thresholds that I replace the ones on the top 10 and summary pages with.

SELECT n.caption as [Node], InstanceCaption as [Volume], round(CurrentValue,1) as [Space Used],
                                                  case when DaysToCapacityPeak<0 then 'Full'
                                                  when DaysToCapacityPeak<91 then tostring(DaysToCapacityPeak)
                                                  when DaysToCapacityPeak>90 then '>90 Days'
                                                  end as [Days til Full],
                                                  f.DetailsUrl as [_linkfor_Volume], n.DetailsUrl as [_linkfor_Node],'/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + n.StatusIcon AS [_IconFor_Node], case when CurrentValue>CriticalThreshold then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Critical.gif'
                                                  when CurrentValue>WarningThreshold then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Warning.gif'
                                                  end as [_Iconfor_Space Used]

FROM Orion.ForecastCapacity f
                                                  join orion.nodes n on n.nodeid=f.nodeid

where metricname ='Forecast.Metric.PercentDiskUsed'
                                                  and currentvalue>WarningThreshold

order by currentvalue desc

It looks like this (excuse my lab for being a mess).  Days til Full is kind of a guess based on the growth trends of the previous week so you have to take that info with a grain of salt, in many cases i remove that column completely.

This is how you set up a volume alert that keys on on the same threshold to be more dynamic than the default volume alert logic

And the last piece is another custom swql query I use to manage all of this that I have on a view I use for things specific to the solarwinds admin.

This one makes it easy to find any specific disk that has had its thresholds edited and make any additional changes I need.

Select n.caption as [Node], InstanceCaption as [Volume], WarningThreshold as [Space Warning], CriticalThreshold as [Space Critical], f.DetailsUrl as [_linkfor_Volume], (Select CurrentValue AS [col1] FROM Orion.Settings WHERE SettingID = 'NetPerfMon-DiskSpace-Warning') AS [Global Warning], (Select CurrentValue AS [col1] FROM Orion.Settings WHERE SettingID = 'NetPerfMon-DiskSpace-Error') AS [Global Critical],  'Edit' AS [Edit], '/Orion/Nodes/VolumeProperties.aspx?Volumes=' + ToString(InstanceID) AS [_LinkFor_Edit],'/Orion/images/nodemgmt_art/icons/icon_edit.gif' as [_IconFor_Edit] , n.DetailsUrl as [_linkfor_Node], '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + n.StatusIcon AS [_IconFor_Node]

FROM Orion.ForecastCapacity f
                                                  join orion.nodes  n on n.nodeid=f.nodeid

where metricname ='Forecast.Metric.PercentDiskUsed'
                                                  and (WarningThreshold not like (Select CurrentValue AS [col1] FROM Orion.Settings WHERE SettingID = 'NetPerfMon-DiskSpace-Warning') or CriticalThreshold not like (Select CurrentValue AS [col1] FROM Orion.Settings WHERE SettingID = 'NetPerfMon-DiskSpace-Error'))

--and (InstanceCaption like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%' or n.caption like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%')

To make it searchable just copy the same into both boxes of the edit custom query screen and remove the comment marks from line 12

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

shaun_9999

Sorry about the lack of communication over the last few days, I am unsure where the time went!  From my investigation I feel that, due to the design of solarwinds, I can't do what I would have liked to have done.  It's not the end of the world. 

I feel that there are some features that would be nice within solarwinds (I am writing a 'feature report as we speak)

Thank you for all of your time everyone, the help is very much appreciated.

orioncrack

Indeed Shaun, you are asking for what I have been asking for, for many years. The ability to set thresholds at the object level for granular alerting at the volume level without creating static triggers for groups of volumes - which is a boneheaded nightmare to manage. I have seen it done at a large company right now that I am trying to fix, but without granular settings there is no easy way with SW.

Automatic Discovery of Resources to Monitor   <----- more here

Just looking at the suggestions makes my stomach turn for such simple customization. Who has time to play around with SQL for such basic features? Especially when we manage THOUSANDS of volumes.

I'm not hating on SolarWinds, I'm just pointing out features that make the tool difficult for large companies, and for people that ask for what you are looking to do, which is totally easy in other tools.