This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Report Cisco interface information

Hello, I'm trying to write a report that will return a list of all interfaces on a Cisco switch. It would also list the vlan membership. As a bonus, if it could state whether the port is access or trunk that would be cool, but is not necessary. I have been trying to figure this out, but am running out of energy to keep Googling. I do know the MIB used is CISCO-VLAN-MEMBERSHIP-MIB. Is there a way to tell if this MIB is being used on a device or if it is used by default? I'd guess it is used by default. Is the data sent from the switch via an SNMP trap or does Solarwinds request that information? From there I assume the data goes into a table in the database and should be available to report on. I have done a MIB Walk on a test switch and it looks like the "vmVlan" section has the information I want. I appreciate any assistance!!

Ben

• You can tell if the vlan mib is available on a network device by hitting list properties and looking to make sure it shows VLAN's with a check like this

pastedImage_2.png

Assuming that is all good then you should be able to do what you want by creating a report on interfaces and looking for the node caption, interface caption, port mode and vlan id, these last two show up under the section called "Port-Interface Mapping on Nodes"

pastedImage_3.png

To make this report more readable I would probably group it like so

pastedImage_4.png

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

• Thanks for the reply. When I list resources "vlan" is listed.

pastedImage_0.png

I have tried using the same columns as you show, but they don't produce any results...

pastedImage_1.png

Here is how I've set my columns. I added the Node Name so that I can run this on several devices if I want.

pastedImage_3.png

Here is the end result though....

pastedImage_2.png

• Hi

could you check if in the interface details view of any physical interface of that device the VLAN ID is displayed? (see figure below)

pastedImage_1.png

If it is displayed, creating the report above mentioned should work, however sometimes, even though SolarWinds can get some VLAN statistics, it can't get VLANID and port mode. If this is the case, i would recommend to find an OID that gives you this information and then create a universal device poller with this OID, assign it to the device you want to monitor, and create a custom report displaying this information.

With regards the OID, I think that the one you need is 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.68.1.2.2.1.2, so please test it in your environment.

Please let us know how it goes emoticons_happy.png

Raul Gonzalez

Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg

• That information does not show up...

pastedImage_0.png

Can I create a poller with that OID through the web console? I have the MIB file (CISCO-VLAN-MEMBERSHIP-MIB), but I'm not the Solarwinds admin so I'd have to have it added if I can't via the web gui. Not a huge deal, but just another hoop to jump through.

• As a note, when I go into manage pollers and under the "Technology" drop down there are only 3 options

CPU & Memory

Multi CPU & Memory

Node Details

pastedImage_0.png

Not sure, but it seems like there should be more options there.

• SW also does not see the OID, I'm guessing that is because I'm looking under SysObjectId

pastedImage_0.png

• The port mode and vlan do show up when viewing an interface for a Juniper switch.

pastedImage_1.png

• Hi

this type of custom poller can only be created on the Universal Device Poller Tool in the SolarWinds server. I would recommend to talk to your SolarWinds admin and tell him/her to create this custom poller for you.

Raul Gonzalez

• I have narrowed this down to being an SNMP problem. I had been using SNMPv3 and when I test the settings it works. For some reason, however, the polling doesn't work right. I switched to SNMPv2c on some nodes and now the data is being collected. I will keep experimenting with v3 and will follow up if I figure it out.

• Hi

SNMPv3 allows you to create 'views', i.e. limit the information shared with specific users. Maybe the issue was during the creation of those views. SNMPv2 doesn't have this feature, allowing access to all the MIB data to all NMS with the correct community string.

Raul Gonzalez