This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

New UX/UI too big

We just upgraded our production environment NPM to 12 and immediately started to notice things that had somehow managed to be completely skipped over in our initial evaluation and testing. The new UI is BIG. The text is big, the padding and margins are big. In general, we love the new look. It's a huge step forward. But when we have TVs for NOC views and people with lower resolutions at their desk than 200dpi, the new UI just overflows the windows. Even within the resources themselves, what would previously fit nicely in a 400px wide column now is truncated or wrapped. To fit that same content requires nearly twice the width. If we had 4k TVs and "retina" level dpi on our monitors, it probably wouldn't be an issue. But the whole scale of the interface (for us at least) needs to be adjusted down.

Are we the only ones who have encountered this? Have you come up with any work around or way to cleanly adjust the scale of things?

SW_CSS_eval.csv
  • I have not really noticed this, I customize the pages for my desire and usually everyone else likes it.  So I am doing the same with NPM12 ... old version is still running, so I had no way to see how it affected my current views.

Though I will consider and make some nudging to make laptop screens a possibility for use without a ton of side scrolling.

I'm sure you have checked your zoom on the browser, maybe a zoom out from 100% might give you the edge you need. (thinking 92-97% to try for starters)

• Unfortunately, the browser zoom doesn't address the issue within a resource. It's not just the text size, but the padding and margins too. An example for us is the Active Alerts resource. We have it on a summary view in a column that's 450px wide. With NPM 11.x, this was fine. Sure some of the text wrapped, but we were able to have 5 or so alerts easily displayed in a vertical space of 700px or so without any scrolling needed. Now, not only must you scroll to get all of the vertical, but within the resource wrapper itself the horizontal overflows and gets hidden.

ActiveAlerts.png

• ChrisDavis_HSV​ Yeah, I posted about this in the beta/ui forum last year, but it did not stick very well, obviously...

I think this is where I posted it, but it looks like they refreshed the access/permissions to that group... https://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/318194

Just the "Node Details" resource itself, takes up twice as much space... It would have been nice to have a "minimalist/lite" version, removing all of the fluff...

resources_node_details-001.PNG

I am sure solutions will pop up soon, once more people get upgraded to 12, then realize they just lost over 50% of there displayed data...

-Will

• Where's your Feature Request? wluther

• Another UI trying so hard to be like Office 2013. Ugh.

The flat, white, washed-out UI direction of so many products is so sad. That side by side comparison imagery you posted is right on the money. What was once so clear and defined is now a confusing puke white fade out.

Why have so many companies been influenced by Office 2013? Its so friggin terrible.

• I would prefer at least a little more contrast. I can go without the outlines, but the extra space that it takes to keep it clear may not be the proper way when you lose so much real estate to empty space.

• I don't know if a Feature Request would quite be the thing here... it's almost a bug. I did a quick analysis of the CSS and I can't help but wonder what was going on. I attached the CSV file to the main post as I didn't notice the "advanced editor" option for replies until later.

The font-size definitions are all over the place. I just focused on them as an easy target. Ignoring the inconsistency in actual sizes, the way they are defined is all over the map. They used every possible declarative value type: lengths (em, pt, and px), percentages, absolute keywords, relative keywords. That alone is a nightmare to try and maintain consistency with, then you add the seemingly random 12px vs 12pt and it's no wonder things are less than optimal.

• I may have to bring our staging setup to NPM 12 and see how bad I can further botch the CSS

• I'm working on what I can do to "clean up" some of the CSS as well. I hate it when people bring problems without any idea of potential solutions, so I'm trying to not do that here. I hope to have something in the next couple of weeks (since my "day job" gets in the way of my playing around).

• Indeed, end users and customers should provide solutions and fix a public company's flagship product on their own.

Relaxed