This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NetPath and Configuration Update

We use NetPath to look at possible issues in the path of an application.  We also use NCM to backup configurations of our devices.  It seems that NetPath considers the backup a configuration change and every time that I look at a path, it shows that a configuration change could have caused the issue.  Is there a configuration change I can make so that NetPath excludes the regular backup from being considered a configuration change?

• Not at this time. So how exactly would you want the feature to work?

• I believe the purpose of being able to detect a change in the configuration is pretty straight-forward.  I think if no configuration change has been made besides a "copy run start", NetPath should not report that a configuration change has been made.

One idea could be that if NetPath detects an issue on a managed device, it could:

1: obtain current running-configuration.

2: compare current running-configuration with previous day.

3: If changes have been made from previous day, report changes in NetPath.

• Thanks, I'll put this on our feature list. I know we looked at doing that but performance was an issue since come configurations can be very large.

Rick Matejka

• I believe NCM has an option to only store configs if they have changed, which should accomplish this today.  Paging jeff.stewart​ to confirm or deny!

• You are correct, this is a setting in NCM.  You have several options when downloading and saving configuration files, one of them being to only save configuration files that have changed.  Can you check the settings of your configuration download job and see what you have it set to?

Jeff

• We do have this set to save the file, but I want to save the file even if the configuration has not been changed. I just do not want NetPath to report that the configuration has changed, if it has not changed.

Thanks,

Alex

• alexpf​, we'll take this as a feature request.  Could you explain the value of saving a backup that is identical to your existing backup?

• There are two reasons this provides value.

1. Peace of mind.

2. Sometimes we notice that a device has not been backed up in a certain amount of days just by looking at our config-archive folder. We use our config-archive folder to sort by date and use it as a troubleshooting tool to make sure that NCM is backing up configurations correctly.

Thanks,

Alex

• Hi

Our default setup for our customers for NCM Backups is:

1. Daily backup - only save if config has changed

2. Weekly backup - always save the backup so that you have that peace of mind that the backup is current. As you indicated if you do not do this you could have a device with no backups listed for months and then you question if things are working. Configuring in such a way still requires that there is a method to exclude scehdule config backups from the Netpath correlation.

3. Enable Real Time Change Detection, which for NetPath integration is essential for it to be of genuine use, as you need visibility of Config Changes around the time of the path quality degradation

Mark Roberts

Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg