This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Transfer of license from temporary solarwinds server to actual server

Hi All,

Im new with this community. Here is our scenario:

We have a solarwinds installed on a temporary virtual server with NPM, SAM and NTA installed. Currently, we've purchased it's licenses and a physical server for our monitoring to be installed. Our problem is that our license are readily available, but our physical server will be delivered 45 days after. My question is that can we install the license on our temporary virtual server and transfer it to our physical server once it arrives?

Thanks

Alvin

• In my experience, SolarWinds and its account managers have been flexible.  I have been able to bridge the gap with assistance from SolarWinds--they extended my trial licenses a little...and then a little more.  Not sure if all sales folks at SolarWinds yield that power or just those serving the government sector.  It wouldn't hurt to try.  Did you download SolarWinds by providing your email address?  (Did you give your real one?)  Wouldn't hurt to respond to whatever sales emails you have received and present your case.

• This shouldn't be a problem.  You will just need to call SolarWinds and speak to their licensing team and they will free up the licenses for you in the portal and then you can re-apply them to the new systems.

• You can always apply your licenses to your temp VM and when your new server comes in you just to run license manager and deactivate the licenses on your temp VM and then you will be able to activate them on your new physical server.

• Are you trying to get a little overlap time?  Licenses can be released and then applied elsewhere later, but I'm wondering if your expectation is no downtime/ a few minutes/ a few hours/ a few days.  Certainly doable with customer service assistance (and without).  If the requirement is for no lapse in monitoring or very minimal, perhaps get a customer service case going proactively.  If the process of freeing licenses and then applying to your new server takes more time than you are comfortable with, perhaps see what your sales representative and/ or customer service can do for you in advance.

• Thanks for all the help and reply, as per the solarwinds customer service, we can transfer the license by using the license manager. I must deactivate the registered license on the temporary vm and download it to the new server and use it to activate the  reset license.