This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

redundant polling engine

Hi all

I have solarwinds installed in my environment, but in case of power failure of the whole environment we don't get notifications, etc.. so I am planning to deploy a second polling engine at a remote site for redundancy.  i want local Orion and Remote polling engine communicate together such that when the local one is down, the remote one is available. but still monitoring the same devices/objects

• If its respect with notifications then alerting happens from primary poller only (Alert Engine). I understand you are looking for redundancy here - your approach would only suffice the polling but not alerting if you build an additional poller rather you could go with FOE.

FOE is what you should be looking at - it could be either ( HA or DR ) based on what you want and how you want the setup. The passive server will take over when your primary poller goes down - please note FOE works on Active-Passive mode (not Active-Active)

Hope it helps.

• ok cool.. emoticons_happy.png

clarity:

1.so a FoE from a remote site will be able to take over as a main poller in the event my primary server goes down? will it send notifications?

2. we have SQL database on a separate server, I'm not sure if we will also have to create a redundant database as well on the remote site with FoE.

• 1. YES - thats correct

2. Let me check on this - I am not sure if FOE uses a separate DB.

• ok

Are there any additional costs on FoE? I have NPM, SAM, NCM, NTA and VNQM installed and licensed.

• Yes, FOE would require an additional license cost.

Also, to answer your question number 2 above, FOE only protects the Orion server, not the database server or the NTA flow storage server.  And, if you are talking about a site going dark scenario, you will definitely want to have a solution for those, at least the database server most critically as Solarwinds will not operate without it.  There are solutions available to help with this like something as simple as log shipping, SQL AlwaysOn and going all the way up to things like Neverfail for SQL and active-passive or active-active licensing for Solarwinds.  Which method you choose I would think would be determined by your budget and how much tolerance you have for downtime and manual intervention.

• Thanks a lot for your help emoticons_happy.png. I will be in touch should I need further assistance. for now I think I am sorted. cheers

• Thanks for Point 2 blsanneremoticons_cool.png

Attaching the details of FOE Supported Modules:

Capture.JPG