This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 11.5.3 sending out false alerts after services restart

I have a case open on this, but this has now happened twice in 3 weeks.

Services on the Orion server itself restart, causing a barrage of alerts to come in for servers that have the agent installed. These are false positives that are waking people up or wasting their time. I want my coworkers to have faith in our system and that is starting to be questioned. Anyone have any issues like this recently?

It hasn't happened before 3 weeks ago so I'm not sure if there was a trigger or not.

Regards,

Keith

• Is this just happening on servers with the agent installed and any active alerts for other devices are not being retriggered?

Also have these devices been unmanaged at all? We have a case with a customer who has a weekly unmanage node schedule and this has caused alerts to be sent incorrectly. The advice in that instance was to upgrade to v12 as this includes an update to the unmanage function for sub objects.

Mark Roberts

Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg 

• Why are the services restarting ? Any Evidence on Event Viewer -> Solarwinds logs ? Do you have an issue with the Solarwinds DB ?

• Precisely, I have not seen any alerts during the 2 times that this has happened for our switches, firewalls, or non-agent nodes.

The devices are managed.

• If I knew, I would certainly look deeper. Event logs said this:

SMSvcHost 4.0.0.0 and Service Controlmanager (SolarWinds Orion Module Engine) both had errors within 30 seconds of each other and that was essentially it.

No issues that I know of with the DB.

• Just FYI,

I worked with a Customer Support engineer yesterday and he had me install some Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables. According to him, not having those redistributables could cause issues as they help with the BusinessHostLayer (which seemed to be having problems) which in turn interfaces with Orion.

We'll see how it goes. Seems comparative to getting a shot of penicillin to fix an unknown health issue. It may work, but there's no guarantee.