12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 1:09 PM by bknight

Solar winds "Asset Inventory"

pgaba

Hi all

I'm new to this community, just joined today. I really wanted to know who else is using the asset management part of the Web help desk? I would like to connect to people who are currently using it or planning to use it. Looking forward to post some suggestions and questions as I go on to use this software for my company's asset management. Please feel free to provide some feedback.Web Help Desk Asset by Location not client For those who use the import assets feature in WHD.

Thanks

Priyanka

• Re: Solar winds "Asset Inventory"
          adam.rohde

We are using asset management, though we don't use any discovery tools. Our assets our maintained by our support staff. We are still in the early phases of our WHD deployment, so haven't spent a lot of time putting the asset management through its paces.

pgaba

Hi Adam

Thanks for replying back.

Even we are not intending to use the auto discovery option as it picks up almost everything within the given IP range. So I'm trying to customise it according to our requirements. I have spent plenty of time to get through the customisation and the logic.

Thanks

Priyanka

donielle.williams

Will be following this thread. We have recently deployed WHD and are starting the process of importing assets. Don't know if we will be using the discovery tools or not at this point.

pgaba

Thanks for your response. We have started using it, though we are not using auto discovery as it imports almost everythings. I have customised the asset register and so far I was successfully able to insert 200 assets. Also, I have linked the child assets with parent assets to ease the search. Looking forward for more discussions.

Regards

Priyanka

bknight

We currently use SCCM to sync up with WHD.  However, that doesn't capture all of our devices.  Routers, switches, and printers have to be added manually.  I don't use the discovery tools as I do not want all the items that are in our network to be populated into WHD (iphones, android devices).  I'm curious if anyone does use two different methods to collect inventory and if you run into problems with duplicate items.  I've seen where inputting information manually will undoubtedly lead to situations where items are forgotten and not entered. 

andeporter

I am using it pretty religiously. I'll be glad to help you in any way that I can. We import our assets from SCCM using the profile connectors & LDAP.

bknight

How are you andeporter handling items that are not reported into SCCM?  Do you manually enter them in or do you have another way to do those?

jb7557

With the SCCM connector, I take it you are using the SQL authentication and not Windows authentication to connect to the SQL database?  I am setting ours up and could not get WHD to talk to SCCM.  From what I could find in the Solarwinds knowledge base, it sounds like that is because we are using the Windows authentication and not the mixed.  I see how to change that, but Microsoft warns against using mixed/SQL authentication for security reasons. 

But the WHD discovery does not sound so great to me if it is going to grab everything.  I really just want desktops/laptops.

andeporter

@bknight

I use several discovery connections in conjunction w/ SCCM. I also utilize an NPM connector for network infrastructure that is not included in SCCM. The rest of the assets (non-network) stuff often times does get entered manually. I've also found the "do not overwrite existing values" box in the discovery connector options to be very valuable.

bknight

I probably need to contact support.  When I use the NPM connector, it never sees my existing devices that are there.  So I get a whole list of new devices.  I've imported them from an older system and since manually kept things up to date.  I use the serial number as the assetID.  That worked well with me importing devices with my SCCM connector.  However, Serial Number does not appear as an attribute mapper for Asset number.  Since that is the case, it cannot match up my equipment and it creates all new assets.  It does this with the Windows Server devices I'm monitoring with NPM too.  Not sure what to do about it.  I don't want to go back and reedit all the devices I have in there.  I also recognize devices get "forgotten" as someone will ultimately forget to update the system.  Not sure of a way around this.