4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2016 9:39 AM by tso582

Configuring BGP custom Pollers

tso582

Good Morning Thwack.

I have two questions really.

1. How does the Solarwinds BGP poller work out of the box? I have it configured on a router for bgpLocalIP, bgpRemoteAS and bgpRemoteIP.  Everything is lovely and green but of the three neigbours configured on the router, one has gone active (down in BGP terms) and yet the status is unchanged.  All green and healthy.  Why?
      2. Should I configure a custom poller to poll the status I need?  Any idea how?  I don't see an option for routing and BGP as a poller.

We do have traps running.  That is fine but I need something that will turn things red so that it gets noticed.  We have a fairly large BGP estate and a trap on status will be lost amonst all the toher alerts.

Thanks for your help and suggestions

cheers

Greg

• Re: Configuring BGP custom Pollers
          markobrien

Hi Greg.

I don't know why your BGP connections are showing green, but if you want to create a custom poller (actually, a Universal Device Poller would be better) for bgpPeerState, it can be found in MIB 2, and the OID is 1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.2.

That said, the out-of-the box BGP poller should include that OID. I can't say why your system is not showing Active peers as something other than green.

tso582

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.  My pollers are using 1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.5,  1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.9 and 1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.7 for bgpLocalIP, bgpRemoteAS and BGPRemoteIP respectively.  If I hover over the green leaf icon it shows the OID as above but for Current Value: it says "Not available for tabular pollers"  Do you think that is of any significance?

I'll try your suggestionof a Universal Device Poller.

Thanks

Greg

markobrien

Do you have the SNMP GET Type set as GET TABLE? On the Define Your Universal Poller page, click the "+" next to "Show Advanced Options" and you will see that option there.

tso582

Hi Mark,   I have configured a Universal Device Poller.  It is set with Get table, yes.  It reports the correct status for my BGP peers 6,6,3  The two 6s are established and the 3 is active. That is correct.  I have also used the label mapping so they report the status rather then the numeric value.  All this is fine but the poller icon shows as green (up)  I really want this to reflect the overal status of BGP on the device and show as degraded, yellow would do, so it prompts intervention.  Any suggestions gratefully received.

cheers

Greg