3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2016 2:37 PM by bmoore

Why is support not allowed to keep a ticket open?

bmoore

Hello everybody.

I was recently told by a support agent that they are not allowed to keep tickets open for extended periods of time.

Here is what happened:

I had an issue, I created a ticket via customer portal and waited the normal 3 days for someone to respond to my request.

After discussing my issue(via email), they requested I submit my logs to them for further analysis.

After the analysis, they responded with a few suggested actions.

I have to discuss these changes with my team and get it approved by management before I can do anything.

Every 24 hours, I get an email from the support agent asking if they can close the case. I let them know that it may be a week or two before I can get these changes approved and set aside an evening when I can administer the changes to our configuration.

The response seemed odd to me, I was told they (solarwinds support agents) are not allowed to keep tickets open for extended periods of time and the ticket will be closed. Also, mentioned that I can re-open the case or create a new ticket when I am ready.

Is this normal? or was the agent in question wanting to keep their queue clear and add another closed case to their stats?

Anyone else encounter this from an agent?

• Re: Why is support not allowed to keep a ticket open?
          fcpsolaradmin

I am assuming their supervisors get metrics that state how long tickets have been open and how long there hasn't been activity.

For example if we have stale tickets we get questioned. I am sure there is no policy, its just easier on the tech to keep his dashboard clean

• Re: Why is support not allowed to keep a ticket open?
            QU-IS

I have not had an issue as of yet with a tech needing to close the ticket quickly.  I have had several issues in the past where a ticket has been open for over a week because the tech has requested a goto meeting but our schedules didn't work out.  I have found that as long as I communicated openly with them that I was unavailable during the times they requested to meet they didn't have an issue keeping the ticket open.  I would guess that as long as they have notes in the ticket stating they were waiting on the customer, keeping the ticket open isn't a deal breaker with management.  I understand the desire to close tickets as quickly as possible but sometimes it just isn't that simple.