2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 1:43 PM by John Handberg

Discovery Failed due to Import

rboyer

Who's not excited about NPM 12 and SAM 6.2.4?

One of the features I'm already loving is the auto-import for the network sonar discovery.

I setup a few and revamped my 20+ discoveries into about 7 now with auto-importing based on a few criteria. One of which is the AD for domain based nodes that are being monitored with WMI currently, the manual monitor setup process is currently done by another team and in effort to streamline and remove tedious tasks, I went ahead and automated the import.

All of them work, except our primary domain import, seems kind of important.

Is there any way to get more information based on the alert or the log in the message center as to why the import failed?

"Send an Email/Page (Discovery has failed due to the following: "Import Failed")" action was executed successfully 6/22/2016 12:10 AM
      Alert Triggered Network Discovery Failed6/22/2016 12:10 AM
      6/22/2016 12:10:43 AM Advanced alert

Network Discovery FailedImport Failed

I can't tell if i'm just missing something or if there's just no details to log on when the import process fails.

I'm open to any suggestions.

-R

• Re: Discovery Failed due to Import
          rboyer

So, I dug into this a little more and looks to be an exceeded limit on the import or .NET limitation on the number of connections at once.

I pulled this from the Core.BusinessLayer.log, located at C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Logs\Orion

2016-07-06 10:09:26,944 [96] WARN  SolarWinds.APM.Common.APMBusinessLayerProxy - An error occured when connecting to the communication channel.

2016-07-06 10:09:26,944 [96] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Core.BusinessLayer.DiscoveryImportManager - Exception occurred during discovery import

System.ServiceModel.ServerTooBusyException: Server 'net.tcp://<servername>:17777/orion/apm/businesslayer' sent back a fault indicating it is too busy to process the request. Please retry later. Please see the inner exception for fault details. ---> System.ServiceModel.FaultException: There are too many pending secure conversations on the server. Please retry later.

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

I'm guessing this is hitting the default for maxPendingSessions, which is 128, but odd to see it during the import wizard. The wizard is trying to import 240 devices/nodes at once, so I suspect once it hits beyond this 128 marker, it dies. I'll need to tune the wizard to some how avoid this, but interesting to know what was expected when importing nodes from AD that would exceed this limit automatically.

Has anyone else run into this yet?

-R