3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 3:36 AM by grant.hathaway

Event ID 7024 - WIndows internal database won't start after installing SW Patch manager

grant.hathaway

Hello,

I have an issue that I haven’t been able to resolve for the last few weeks … technical support won't help me as from there view the issue is with the Windows service, not patch manager!

WSUS has been working fine, I have a primary WSUS server and a downstream server at a different location.

I install Solarwinds Patch manager (PAS install) on the Primary WSUS server (Server 2012r2 VM) using a new remote SQL database and launch the patch manager console successfully. The install completes without issues.

Problem: After a few days/When I reboot the server I notice the Windows internal database service (used by WSUS) doesn’t start.

When I try and manually start the service I get below error:

“Windows could not start the windows internal database on local computer…..error code 3605”

7024.PNG

In event viewer:

The description for Event ID 7024 from source Service Control Manager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Windows Internal Database

%%3605

The locale specific resource for the desired message is not present

service.PNG

I haven’t changed anything that might be causing this issue, there’s nothing else installed on the VM apart from the WSUS role and Solarwinds patch manager.

I’ve tried reinstalling Server 2012r2 on a completely new VM along with WSUS and as soon as I install solarwinds patch manager I get exactly the same issue. If I revert to a snapshot from a time before installing Solarwinds patch manager the windows internal database service starts fine, I can launch WSUS without issues.

By installing Solarwinds patch manager the windows internal database stops working, has anyone experienced something similar? Could it be a permissions issue, possibly with the service account that is installed with Patch manager?

Help!!

Thanks in advance