3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2016 10:25 AM by bleearg13

NCM Action not working in Alert

bleearg13

I have an alert that I've configured an NCM action for and it does not appear to be working. The action is set to run a pair of specific commands on a device once the trigger has been met. I should say that I have NCM actions configured in other alerts and they work just fine. I am unable to 'Test' the action because the alert is based on a Custom Table Poller Current Status, which for some reason will not allow me to test or simulate any actions. The action parameters configured in this alert is configured exactly like all the ones I have working, except for the commands. I am pretty sure it's not working because I do not see the user logging in to the device when the alert is triggered and no output is posted in the email that gets sent out, nor is there any output posted in the Alert Details where I would normally see it.

• Re: NCM Action not working in Alert
          doug.zeller

think i'm having a similar problem... created a custom table poller for BGPpeerstate.. within the email i cant use any variables...they wont resolve.. the workaround was to use a very generic free form text and limit the amount of users i assigned to this poller.. the other issue i see is i cant simulate the alert ... when i try to simulate there are no grouping available is i cant associate the alert to a node...   i dont see this problem when i build a basic custom poller....only on custom table poller...   

bleearg13

Funny, I know this is three months after your post, but I just came back to this issue and noticed you are doing the exact same thing - trying to get BGP peer state. I wonder if there is an issue with getting NCM actions to run while using a custom table poller alert? I did find out from Support on another unrelated case that the NCM action has to be created FIRST in your actions. If you create a different action and re-order them, you have to recreate the entire alert from scratch. I did try this, but to no avail.

bleearg13

So I finally opened up a ticket on this. We were able to get the NCM action to run using the Custom Node Table Poller alert by using the "Enter the IP address of the NCM node where the NCM action will execute" option within the NCM action definition. Otherwise, what I am told is happening is that the Node Table Poller will attempt to execute on the object that triggered the alert - meaning, the value within the UnDP table itself. Doesn't matter if the value is an IP address or hexadecimal value or plain text.