6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2016 11:04 PM by superfly99

IP Range size for NPM sonar discovery

terence

I am at a bit of a loss as to what size of an IP range to give to NPM for a network discovery job..  I was given the range of addressees that we use in ororganaization and lowest to highest in each address range was from x.x 0.0 to x.x 255.255.  Thats a range of >60k ip adresses!  And is just one of 10 or so I have to run the discovery process for.

What is a manageable range for discovery?   Thats not going to take a year to finish?

We have a single application server which is a virtual machine and its adequately specced with 16GB RAM and 2 cores

Thanks in advance

• Re: IP Range size for NPM sonar discovery
          ankthar lemarre

It depends on a lot of factors. You gave us part of one, the server. It also depends on connectivity between the server and all the nodes, what combination of ICMP/WMI/SNMP you're using, how many resources there are to discover on each node, how many nodes actually exist in those ranges, etc.

I would start small with a Class C and see how it goes, just trial and error. It's likely going to take you a few weeks to finish. There's no reason you can't have overlapping discovery jobs, either. For example define a range that takes roughly 24 hours in your environment, and kick off one at the beginning of the day and one at the end of the day each day.

superfly99

I have about 6 class B address to scan but I've split them all into /24. That way it's quick and easy to see where what is and what is available. I create a folder for each class B address and then when you click on it, it will open the 256 /24 subnets.

I then have a separate folder that just has each site listed and which ranges are there. This is the folder that always needs to be kept updated, whereas the /24 folders, just update themselves.

Mark Roberts

Things to bear in mind:

• Maximum run time of the discovery task is 10 hours
              • The responsiveness of your network and parts of it are specific to you
              • On average a class C discovery scan which is 50% populated will take around 10-15 minutes to complete
              • Often when presented with this setup by customers i.e. several Class B networks often they have only a few hundred devices, so you can determine the true population of the networks to determine how you break up these scans

My advice - Break this up into smaller chunks and do so on two criteria; total number of addresses to scan keeping a single discovery job to no more than 5,000 and logical structure i.e. geographic or business unit

Mark Roberts

Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg 

terence

All

I appreciate the input.   Thanks

T