11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2016 9:35 AM by rschroeder

Virtualization Manager Versus IVIM

edavis@mdsol.com

Can someone explain the difference between Virtualization Manager and IVIM?  What do I get from Virtualization Manager that I don't get from IVIM?  Does it require a separate machine and cannot be installed on the same machine as NPM and all the other modules? 

• Re: Virtualization Manager Versus IVIM
          chrispaap

Eric

This is a common question among Solarwinds users.  I have attached a feature comparison guide to help explain but simply put, IVIM is the basic Virtualization monitoring that is included with SAM & NPM while virtualization manager offers more in depth virtualization performance & capacity planning monitoring. IVIM will provide you with VM to host relationships and general node level monitoring found in SAM & NPM such as CPU, Memory, and Network statistics. By comparison Virtualization Manager (VMAN) digs into what is going on within the hypervisor and bubbles up current or potential performance issues with the VM & hosts.  Not only that but it provides the datastore metrics and acts as the connecter in our AppStack View between the application (SAM) and backend Storage (SRM).  Virtualization Manager requires the install of a virtual appliance which can be downloaded here and then integrate with Orion.  You can integrate with an existing NPM or SAM instance or download the stand Alone Orion install for VMAN so you can get access to web based reports , Alerts, Appstack, & Management Actions.

SAM/NPM IVIM Module vs. Virtualization Manager – VMware® and Hyper-V® Monitoring

Feature

SAM/NPM

IVIM Module

Virtualization Manager

View virtualization environment tree with up/down status and top 10 counters (both VMware & Hyper-V)

Yes

Host & VM should be managed node in SAM.

Yes

Host and VM performance metrics (CPU, memory, network, average response time & packet Loss)

Yes

Yes

Virtualization host hardware health

Yes

Yes

Alerts for virtualization-specific issues

• Memory swap
          • Memory ballooning
          • VM CPU ready
          • Zombie/idle/stale VM
          • Large/old VM sanpshots
          • VM disk near full
          • VM disk latency (IOPS)
          • Datastore I/O latency
          • VM resources under/overallocated

No

Yes

Historical forensics map providing contextual relationship mapping over time

No

Yes

Virtualization management tools (power off VM, suspend VM, reboot VM, take snapshot of VM, delete snapshots, change CPU/memory resources, move VM to a different host, move VM to a different storage)

No

Yes

VM sprawl monitoring (idle VM, power off VMs, orphaned VMDK files, VM snapshots)

No

Yes

Alert remediation with management actions

No

Yes

VM Right sizing with recommendations

No

Yes

Datastore performance monitoring

No

Yes

Performance explorer graph providing correlation insight between virtualization n metrics

No

Yes

Capacity Planning  - “What if” scenario planning & resource depletion

No

Yes

Chargeback and showback metrics (track how the virtual machines are being used over time)

No

Yes

Calculate cost of moving virtual infrastructure to Amazon® EC2®

No

Yes

Out-of-the-box virtualization performance reports

Limited

Yes

AppStack Environment dashboard on Orion interface

Yes

WPM + SAM + SRM + VMan

Yes

WPM + SAM + SRM + VMan

7 of 7 people found this helpful
            jhbach

Hello, I'm still confused over the difference between VMAN, NPM, IVIM & Orion.

We have VMAN.  We also have NPM.  What is Orion and which of these 2 products uses it?

When I look at the screenshots/videos of VMAN on this website I see views that I don't recognise from having only used VMAN.  Are these views taken from NPM that's been integrated with VMAN?

Also, what are the benefits of integrating VMAN with Orion/NPM?  Do you get better views?  Can you integrate VMAN with Orion without having NPM?

Sorry for the questions, but this has always confused me.

Thanks

mprobus

VMAN:  This connects directly to your vCenters or HyperV Hosts.  It pulls in various virtual metrics only.

NPM:  Generally used for networking (routers, switches, etc.)

IVIM:  This is the link between VMAN and Orion.  It pulls in some of the virtual metrics into Orion.

Orion:  This is the single pane of glass for many Solarwinds products.  It really is not a product itself, but a suite of products.

By integrating VMAN with NPM through Orion, you get extra visibility into troubleshooting problems by having all of the components in a single view.

Yes, you can stand up a single Orion instance that connect to VMAN and is separate from NPM.

jhbach

I would like to integrate only VMAN & Orion.  Is it possible to install the Orion Web Console independently of the other products?  Is there a separate download for it?

mprobus

jhbach

You can install just the VMAN appliance.  You would then install IVIM, which includes the Orion web console.  If you install this on a fresh build independent of other Solarwinds products, then they will not communicate with one another.  However, when I did my install, I had no licensing for the various elements.  Therefore, I bundled the install with SAM so I could manage the nodes.  I believe you would get similar licensing if you bundled with NPM.  That of course would be best clarified through Solarwinds as I'm not 100% sure.

if you want to use a standalone web console, you can download the eval at http://downloads.solarwinds.com/solarwinds/Release/SAM/SolarWinds-SAM-v6.2.4-WebOnly.zip .  This includes a 30 day license before you have to fully license it.  The web console will only work if you already have the Solarwinds database up and running, in your case the IVIM integration.