This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

VIM Max Iops vs VMAN Peak Iops

I'm trying to run some reports to see what datastores have been exceeding a few different thresholds.   When I pull datastore statistics in orion, maxiops never seems to get too high.   However charting a few datastores in VMAN that i know are heavy hitters i see some pretty substantial peaks.

How are these calculated differently?   Also, in vman is it possible to run reports against the historical data?  I know that data points are there, just not sure how to run reports against it and export.

Thanks.

• VIM uses cmd/s and not IOPs (despite the name of the attribute).  See below for a sample link telling the difference of the two.  The article says they should be close, but like you I have found large differences in the two.  i.e. Max IOPs was 20K and Max CMDs was 4.8K.

CMDS/s vs IOPS? - Yellow Bricks

To run reports out of VMAN, you can use the Data Export feature.  However, this restricts you to latest, day, week, month, and quarter aggregates.  You can also chart the IOPs and then "Save Report" to get an excel version.

• Thank you!  This makes much more sense. 

Do you know if it is possible to add more than 20 items at a time to the vman charts?

• Twenty isn't a problem.  I am not sure what the limitation is, but I've done 40 at a time.  That many entities on a single chart makes it hard to read, but when it's exported to Excel, each server gets it's own tab.