This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Troubles for configuring multiple Cisco-800 routers

Hello everyone,

I need to update and configure multiple Cisco 800 modem/routers (thousands of them) so I'm looking for a solution to make it easier and faster by automating the job.

The idea is using a terminal server coupled with the CatTools software.

After lots of tests I managed to work it out except for one thing. This is the problem :

--> When the routers (Cisco 887VA) are starting for the first time they show this message before the prompt :

"

% Please answer 'yes' or 'no'.

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

"

The CatTools v3.1.1 software seems unable to recognize this message as a "pre- Command Prompt question" and just reply that error message :

"Did not receive VTY entry prompt from Ciscorouter after CR "

and obviously it is not able to send any commands to the routers.

I have already tried to set up the "Variations > Pre-Login and Post-Login" but that didn't solve the problem.

In advance, thank you for you help.

Julien

• Julien  please post a screenshot showing your Pre-Login and Post-Login entry.

• Hi bkyle, thank you for answering.

This is my Pre-Login and Post-Login entry configuration :

"

PRE_LOGIN_MESSAGE = "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:"

PRE_LOGIN_KEYSTROKE = "CTRL-C"

PRE_LOGIN_KEYSTROKE = ""

POST_LOGIN_MESSAGE = "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:"

POST_LOGIN_KEYSTROKE = "CTRL-C"

POST_LOGIN_KEYSTROKE = ""

"

Note : I use here the "CTRL-C" keystroke because this is working during a manual configuration.

Instead of "CTRL-C" I have also tried the following entries : "N" + "enter", "Y" + "enter", "N + CR", etc.

• Yes I did try just CR, both on pre-login and post-login keystroke, but it didn't work.

• I have tried just a "Y" (and just a "N")

also :

- "Y + CR"

- "Y + enter"

- "Y + CR + enter"

But it is still not working,

always the same message : "Did not receive VTY entry prompt from Ciscorouter after CR "

• Can you sanitize a debug file and post it here?

• Here is the Debug file :

<R-10:47:21 AM>[13][00][13][10]% Please answer 'yes' or 'no'.[13][10]Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

================================================================================

WFMDRetVal=1 Waiting for: "Password:"

WFMDRetVal=2 Waiting for: "Password required, but none set"

WFMDRetVal=3 Waiting for: "Username:"

WFMDRetVal=4 Waiting for: ">"

WFMDRetVal=5 Waiting for: "#"

WFMDBuffer="[13][00][13][10]% please answer 'yes' or 'no'.[13][10]would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: "

================================================================================

<W-10:47:51 AM>[13]

<R-10:47:51 AM>[13][00][13][10]% Please answer 'yes' or 'no'.[13][10]Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no

<R-10:47:51 AM>]:

WFMDRetVal=1 Waiting for: "Password:"

WFMDRetVal=2 Waiting for: "Password required, but none set"

WFMDRetVal=3 Waiting for: "Username:"

WFMDRetVal=4 Waiting for: ">"

WFMDRetVal=5 Waiting for: "#"

WFMDBuffer="[13][00][13][10]% please answer 'yes' or 'no'.[13][10]would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: [13][00][13][10]% please answer 'yes' or 'no'.[13][10]would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: "

<D 10:55:15 AM>

<SCRIPT VALUES>

<HOSTNAME="">

<PROMPT VTY="">

<PROMPT ENABLE="">

<PROMPT CONFIG="">

• What are you seeing before:

<R-10:47:21 AM>[13][00][13][10]% Please answer 'yes' or 'no'.[13][10]Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:

Do you get prompted for a username?

• This was the entire debug file.

So there is nothing before this line :

No I don't get prompted for a username/password. There is no authentication on this machine.