8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 5:30 PM by mrs.alterego

NPM 12

fmaalik

Hi everyone,

We are planning to upgrade NPM to latest NPM12 and wanted to migrate only Orion Product (Database configured on separate server)from Windows server 2008 R2 to Windows server 2012.

Basically,

Install NPM12 on the new Windows 2012 server and migrate existing data to it.

But There are multiple components besides NPM that will need to be considered.

APM, NCM, Patch Manager , DPA , etc..

And Can we migrate all components on One server OR is there any performance issue ?

Regards,

• Re: NPM 12
          userunnown

If you're leaving the database where it is, you should be able to just remove the licenses from your current box, install everything on the new box and point it at the database. There is some information in the documentation area of the NPM product page on Thwack that will walk you through requirements, but it largely will depend on how large your environment is and how stressed the poller is.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              fmaalik

Thanks.

Basically, We should follow the below steps for migration:

1-     Install New OS (Win 2k12 )

2-     Deactivate the licenses from Old server

3-     Install same NPM ,NCM,APM and Patch Manager version on new server and point to existing database server (These Products using same               Database server)

4-     Activate the licenses using license manager.

But we are also using Solarwinds Virtualization manager so how we can integrates this to New Orion server ?

And Is there a way to migrate DPA to new Orion server which is using different database SQL server ?

We also have installed the IPAM trial software  (Solawinds Engineers Tollset V9).

And if we decide to purchase it , we would like to migrate it as well into the new SolarWinds server.

Is there a way of migrating what we already have in IPAM to the server?

Or is it going to require a reinstall of the IPAM product?

Please help!

fmaalik

Thanks.

Basically, We should follow the below steps for migration:

1-     Install New OS (Win 2k12 )

2-     Deactivate the licenses from Old server

3-     Install same NPM ,NCM,APM and Patch Manager version on new server and point to existing database server (These Products using same               Database server)

4-     Activate the licenses using license manager.

But we are also using Solarwinds Virtualization manager so how we can integrates this to New Orion server ?

And Is there a way to migrate DPA to new Orion server which is using different database SQL server ?

We also have installed the IPAM trial software  (Solawinds Engineers Tollset V9).

And if we decide to purchase it , we would like to migrate it as well into the new SolarWinds server.

Is there a way of migrating what we already have in IPAM to the server?

Or is it going to require a reinstall of the IPAM product?

Please help!

neomatrix1217

But we are also using Solarwinds Virtualization manager so how we can integrates this to New Orion server ? This is part of Orion Core and will be updated when you install the latest versions

And Is there a way to migrate DPA to new Orion server which is using different database SQL server ? Same here part of Orion Core

IPAM

Install IPAM as a trial all data will be on the SQL server and once you are ready to purchase all you will need to do is activate the product.

I would NOT install patch manager on the same server as Orion.

fmaalik

Thank you!

Means when we install Orion Server (IVIM) will automatically detect our existing Virtualization manager and integrate it with Orion ?

And what you suggest for following product installation on Same server or different server ?

We are planning to install :

NPM,NCM,DPA,PM,IPAM and SAM on same server.

neomatrix1217

Means when we install Orion Server (IVIM) will automatically detect our existing Virtualization manager and integrate it with Orion ? Yes IVIM and DPA will be updated to their current versions with the installation of and core product

And what you suggest for following product installation on Same server or different server ? I would suggest installing Patch Manager on another server all the other applications can be installed on the same server.

fatset5

Hello fmaalik,

I plan on doing something similar in the next couple of weeks. My current installation (Orion Platform 2014.2.1, QoE 1.0, IPAM 4.2, NCM 7.3.2, NPM 11.0.1, NTA 4.0.3, Toolset 11.0.0, IVIM 1.10.0, VNQM 4.0.1) is running on win2K8 server. I just received some new servers and I plan on moving Solarwinds to a win2k12R2 server. These are the steps I have come up with so far. Hope it helps you.

1. Upgrade all SolarWinds components on my win2K8 server to the latest versions (NPM, NCM, IPAM etc).
                              2. Upgrade my NetFlow server to the latest version.
                              3. Build my new win2k12r2 servers. Make sure the folder structure is the same as my existing installation.
                              4. Install the same modules to match my win2k8 server.
                              5. Migrate the data from the win2k8 servers to the win2k12r2 server.
                              6. Point the win2k12r2 server to the existing database.
                              7. Deactivate the licenses on the win2k8 server and activate on the win2k12 server.
                              8. Change the IP Address on both servers so the win2k12 server has the production polling IP.
                              9. Restart everything and check to make sure the environment is polling properly.

I haven't done this before but I'm going to use the information userunnown suggested is on the Thwack home page. See the links below.

http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/Orion/docs/MovingYourOrionNPMDatabase.pdf

This is the one the speaks more to what I am trying to accomplish.

Migrate Orion Platform products to a new server

Goodluck!

mrs.alterego

For more information on the latest release, please visit our new NPM 12 product page.