3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 6:28 AM by mprobus

New VMs and Snapshots this week

Selspiero

Hi - i'm struggling (again!) with a report.

Been asked for a report to show new virtual machines create in the last month. i thought this would be quite easy, create a custom table, then all virtual machines as the source. Create the table and limit to the last 30 days in the date selection. This seems to work for 1 of my clusters but not the other! Is there a better way to do this?

Also on the same report, any VM with a snapshot - for some reason, i can't do this - even though i have an alert that does the same!

• Re: New VMs and Snapshots this week
          mprobus

Are you trying to build the report in VMAN or Orion VIM?

To get the VMs created in the last 30 days in VMAN, you should be able to use the query vm.internal.dateCreated:[now-30days TO *].

To get a list of servers with snapshots in VMAN, you should be able to use vm.snap.dateCreated:*

In VIM, for the new VMS you can create a custom table that looks at the DateCreated field.

in VIM, for the snapshots, you can create a custom table that gives all machines with a Snapshot Summary Count > 0.

Selspiero

Thanks for that - excellent.

One other question - on the date added, can i do this in NPM too - so i can get a table for all nodes that have been added in the last 30 days? Appreciate that its not a VIM question!

mprobus

There is not a Node Added field in NPM.  So, your two options.

1.  Create a custom field for all new nodes and record the date added.  This is a manual and therefore tedious process.  And the report wouldn't be very reliable as it only takes forgetting to do one to make the report wrong.

2.  You can create a table to report on events of Node Added. In the column selection screen, you can select Node here or Event Message along with the Event Type and Event Time.  Either will give you the name.  Message just tells you which polling engine it was added to also.