4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 12:06 AM by mtaylor_lfcu

IPAM showing many IPs as 'Available' when they are actually in use

mtaylor_lfcu

Hi,

Was looking for help in getting our IPAM to more accurately detect IPs that are in use. It will show many as 'Available' when they are really in use.

I haven't been able to rely on the results that show as available in IPAM for some time now, since installing v4.3.

Our previous version was much more accurate and reliable.

I've had to resort to using Zenmap to help figure out if an IP is in use or not.

Are there settings that I should look at a tweak to improve accuracy?

Thanks for any help.

• Re: IPAM showing many IPs as 'Available' when they are actually in use
          Craig Norborg

The short answer - yes.

The long answer really depends on how you have things set up.   For the subnets in question, have they been added into IPAM?  I'm assuming so.   If you go into "Manage Subnet Scan Settings", how are things set up?  Hopefully you have ICMP scanning, and probably SNMP scanning, both enabled?

If you go to "Scan Job Status" and edit a subnet property, disable subnet scanning isn't checked?   Does the scan interval make sense?  ie: will it happen during times that the systems are online?    Are your "Last Discovery" dates making sense?  Or are they way out of date?

Do you have it hooked into your DHCP server?

Being a bit more specific will help us answer better!  Hopefully I've pointed you a bit in the right direction.

mtaylor_lfcu

Craig Norborg wrote:

The short answer - yes.

The long answer really depends on how you have things set up.   For the subnets in question, have they been added into IPAM?  I'm assuming so.   If you go into "Manage Subnet Scan Settings", how are things set up?  Hopefully you have ICMP scanning, and probably SNMP scanning, both enabled?

If you go to "Scan Job Status" and edit a subnet property, disable subnet scanning isn't checked?   Does the scan interval make sense?  ie: will it happen during times that the systems are online?    Are your "Last Discovery" dates making sense?  Or are they way out of date?

Do you have it hooked into your DHCP server?

Being a bit more specific will help us answer better!  Hopefully I've pointed you a bit in the right direction.

Hi,

Yes, they are entered into IPAM. Doing both ICMP and SNMP scanning, both enabled.

Scanning is happening during times that the systems are online.

Disable subnet scanning isn't checked and it is hooked into your DHCP servers.

HolyGuacamole

It's definitely not normal behavior. Have you opened a support case for investigation?