1 Reply Latest reply on May 26, 2016 3:51 PM by curtisi

LEM: Connector profile setting for Windows Server 2012 and MSSQL 2012

siamaksattar

Hi,

I am trying to create a connector profile for Windows Server 2012 and MSSQL 2012, below are my requirements:

SQL VersionServer OS
      2012 R2Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
      2012 R2Windows Server 2012 Standard
      2012 R2Windows Server 2012 Standard
      Oracle 12cWindows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Can you please advise me on correct settings.

I would like to thank you in advance.

regards

Sam

• Re: LEM: Connector profile setting for Windows Server 2012 and MSSQL 2012
          curtisi

Hey Sam,

The biggest question here is "Will you be running the Solarwinds LEM MSSQL Auditor or not?  If yes, where will it be running?"  MSSQL Auditor runs a trace against the database, and can pull in security events from within SQL, but that comes at a cost to database performance (every write, query, etc is going to incur a write to the audit logs).  If you decide it's worth it, will you run MSSQL Auditor on every box or on one central box and query all databases from there?

In my lab, I have three SQL servers, and this is the profile for all three of them.  They're different Windows and SQL versions, but this setup works on all of them, and this should cover all your listed SQL servers.

2016-05-26 14_43_58-SolarWinds Log & Event Manager.png

I have one box that runs MSSQL Auditor, and on that box, I have the following connectors configured, and really the only important one (for this scenario) is the first one to read the MSSQL Auditor:

2016-05-26 14_46_40-SolarWinds Log & Event Manager.png

Now, your Oracle box is going to be in it's own profile.  The SQL stuff won't work for Oracle, but I have an Oracle server and my connectors look like this:

Again, only the top one is specific to Oracle.

1 of 1 people found this helpful