16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 5:04 PM by tdanner

Query nodes based on custom property

clum09

Hello,

Is there any way to query the Orion nodes with all the custom properties?

Thanks.

CluM09

• Re: Query nodes based on custom property
          danofa

Hi,

using the REST api you can perform a read on the node swis URI like so..

swis://hostname/Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1/CustomProperties

which will return all the possible custom properties and their values

more info is available here: REST · solarwinds/OrionSDK Wiki · GitHub

clum09

danofa,

Thank you for the quick response. I am sorry for being late in responding back to you.

Actually, I need to query all the nodes from SolarWinds including built-in and custom properties. I need this information to true up the SolarWinds inventory for my company.

I would assume that the syntax you provided is for one node only with a known NodeID. I am not familiar with SolarWinds REST api, and I have never used it. Do I need to use SwisSnapin snapin or I just use the Invoke-Webrequest or Invoke-RestMethod cmdlet from PowerShell or the curl utility?

Please give the actual syntax of the REST api command to perform the operation.

Thanks again.

danofa

Ah, well that changes a few things,

maybe the best bet in your case is to make a custom report, based on a SQL query

then you can do something like the following...

Select * FROM NodesCustomProperties cp

INNER JOIN NodesData nd on cp.NodeID = nd.NodeID

this will give you all the custom properties and all the data that applies to each node... if its too much information you can whittle it down with a SELECT IP_Address, Vendor, <insert column name here>, cp.* FROM ...

Hope this helps

tdanner

You don't need to use a SQL query. If you want to do this in the reporting system, you can make a report for nodes that includes whatever properties you need, including custom properties, just by picking them from the list.

If you prefer to do this from a script, you can use a Query request to get a complete list of nodes including custom properties. In PowerShell this is done with the "Get-SwisData" cmdlet. See the REST API documentation page (linked earlier in this thread) for information about how to run a SWQL query through that channel.

clum09

tdanner,

What is the syntax for the Get-SwisData cmdlet to pull the node data including the custom properties? I tried danofa's code, but it generated an error below:

Get-SwisData $swis "Select * FROM NodesCustomProperties cp INNER JOIN NodesData nd on cp.NodeID = nd.NodeID"

which results in this error: Get-SwisData : no viable alternative at input '*' in Select clause

Can you give an example on how to do this?

e.solonin

I may be wrong, but here

clum09 написал(а):

Get-SwisData $swis "Select * FROM NodesCustomProperties cp INNER JOIN NodesData nd on cp.NodeID = nd.NodeID"

you use SWQL , not SQL. SWQL does not support Select * from  syntax, you have to specify columns/fields you need as result.

===================

Common SQL Constructs Not Supported

SWQL does not support the following common SQL constructs:

Note: You must use CRUD operations to create, read, update, or delete entities.

SELECT * FROM … (You must list the actual properties you want to select.)

UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE, etc. (You can only use SWQL to read data.)

====================

So try something like this : Get-SwisData $swis "Select NodeID FROM NodesCustomProperties cp INNER JOIN NodesData nd on cp.NodeID = nd.NodeID" , if it does not show any error just add columns you need in Select part of your query.

clum09

I tried:  Get-SwisData $swis "Select City FROM NodesCustomProperties cp INNER JOIN NodesData nd on cp.NodeID = nd.NodeID", but I got the following error:

Get-SwisData : Source entity [NodesCustomProperties] not found in catalog

Thanks.

tdanner

Use "Orion.NodesCustomProperties", not just "NodesCustomProperties".

clum09

I tried using the Orion.NodesCustomProperties as you indicated, but it still does not work.

PS C:>Get-SwisData $swis "Select City FROM Orion.NodesCustomProperties cp INNER JOIN NodesData nd on cp.NodeID = nd.NodeID"

Get-SwisData : Source entity [NodesData] not found in catalog

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-SwisData $swis "Select City FROM Orion.NodesCustomProperties cp INNER JOIN N ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-SwisData], FaultException`1

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : SwisError,SwisPowerShell.GetSwisData

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks.

KMSigma

Syntax Error in the SWQL Statement  Change it to:

SELECT [Caption], [City]

FROM Orion.NodesCustomProperties cp INNER JOIN Orion.Nodes nd on cp.NodeID = nd.NodeID

It looks like you blended straight SQL (SELECT * FROM [dbo].[NodesData]) and SWQL (SELECT * FROM Orion.Nodes).

Did you test the SWQL Query in the SWQL Studio before trying to run it in PowerShell?  That's what I always do just to be safe.

clum09

I still get the error:

PS C:> Get-SwisData $swis "Select [Caption],[City] FROM Orion.NodesCustomProperties cp INNER JOIN NodesData nd on cp.NodeID = nd.NodeID"

Get-SwisData : Source entity [NodesData] not found in catalog

At line:1 char:1

+ Get-SwisData $swis "Select [Caption],[City] FROM Orion.NodesCustomProperties cp  ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-SwisData], FaultException`1

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : SwisError,SwisPowerShell.GetSwisData

How do I test the SWQL Query in the SWQL Studio?

Thanks.

KMSigma

This is my complete script for pulling all node custom properties (also including the Caption and IP Address from the Nodes Table)

###############################
                                                      # Query-Swis.ps1
                                                      ###############################
                                                      #region Login Variable
                                                      $Hostname = "10.1.1.1" # Hostname (or IP) of the SolarWinds Server
                                                      $Username = "admin"
                                                      $Password = "MyComplexIfPlainTextPassword"
                                                      $SecPass  = ConvertTo-SecureString -String $Password -AsPlainText -Force
                                                      $Creds    = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList $Username, $SecPass
                                                      #endregion Login Variable
                                                      #region Check for SolarWinds Snapin
                                                      if ( -not ( Get-Command -Name Connect-Swis -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue ) )
                                                      {
                                                          Add-PSSnapin -Name SwisSnapin -ErrorAction Stop
                                                      }
                                                      #endregion Check for SolarWinds Snapin
                                                      # Connect to SWIS
                                                      $SwisConnection  = Connect-Swis -Hostname $SwisHost -Credential $Creds
                                                      #region Get the SWIS Data
                                                      <#
                                                      Because the SWQL interface does not support 'SELECT * ...', we need to enumerate the custom properties that are applied to Nodes.
                                                      #>
                                                      $SwqlForCustomProperties = "SELECT [Field] FROM Orion.CustomPropertyUsage WHERE [Table] = 'NodesCustomProperties'"
                                                      $CustomProperties = Get-SwisData -SwisConnection $SwisConnection -Query $SwqlForCustomProperties
                                                      <#
                                                      Now that we have the list custom properties, we can add them to the query for more detail
                                                      #>
                                                      $SwqlQueryForDevices = "SELECT [Caption], [IP_Address], [$( $CustomProperties -join '], [' )] FROM Orion.NodesCustomProperties cp INNER JOIN Orion.Nodes nd on cp.NodeID = nd.NodeID"

Get-SwisData -SwisConnection $SwisConnection -Query $SwqlQueryForDevices
                                                      #endregion Get the SWIS Data

This queries SWIS and does 2 things:

1) Asks for the names of the custom properties (Field) that are assigned to nodes.

2) Queries for those fields and two others from the Nodes table (Caption, IP Address)

bluefunelemental

If you nickname the table do you need to add that prefix to your columns?

Select cp.city from ....

Thanks,

Christian

KMSigma

I didn't and it worked.

I'm assuming that it follows the same logic as SQL - if there's a unique field name returned, you can just reference that field by name.

tdanner

> I'm assuming that it follows the same logic as SQL - if there's a unique field name returned, you can just reference that field by name.

Yup, that's what it does. With an important exception: references to navigation properties properties must be qualified with the entity name or alias. So you can do "SELECT Caption FROM Orion.Nodes foo" and it works fine. But you can't do "SELECT Volumes.Status FROM Orion.Nodes foo" - it has to be "SELECT foo.Volumes.Status FROM Orion.Nodes foo".

grantallenby

What was the end goal?