This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitor Skype for Busines / Lync client side?

Had a somewhat odd request where a customer wants to be able to check if it's possible to relay Skype for Business (or Lync) messages via Solarwinds.  Essentially if a user contacts the helpdesk they want a monitor/query that says "Solarwinds confirms that you can send IMs". Historically I've always accomplished this via just monitoring the Skype/Lync server with SAM and if the services are up then that's it. Never really thought about doing it client side; any ideas?

Also note: At this point we're just concerned about the availability of the IM service. We're not concerned about voice/video.

• My gut says maybe? Its going to be a custom script, and there is a whole SDK about automating that stuff. I included a link to a sample script, I assume that your script would generate an error if it couldn't send, so you can wrap the "send" with a try/catch combo. Its not a lot to go from, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

Office Send Lync Instant Message with the PowerShell script

• Essentially if a user contacts the helpdesk they want a monitor/query that says "Solarwinds confirms that you can send IMs".

How is the user contacting the helpdesk? Are they messaging you? I'm trying to get a notion of what is supposed to trigger the "all is well with IMs" response.

• Bingo.

You're going to need to be able to run script(s) from client locations. Much like using WPM Players. This would be a really solid use-case for the SAM Agent. emoticons_wink.png

-ZackM

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

• Very interested in this thread, but with a slightly different tack ..

How about sending alerts to a Skype for Business persistent chat room ?    I've been looking at this for a current project, where I'm sorting out a neglected Solarwinds platform.

In theory you can use the new(ish) Web SDK for clientless transactions to Skype, similar to the Slack posting by the Geeks recently.  My dev skills are very rusty though, so we'll have to see - if anyone has attempted this before I'd be very interested, else I'll get Googling and see if something can be worked out.

• For now it's either with a ticket or call in. Users will call in and say "My Lync doesn't work" and most of the time it's not Lync related at all but since the end users open it as a "Lync Issue" our clients Lync team has to go through the paces to rule it out before pawning off the ticket. An argument could be made that such a check can be done with a basic Lync SAM server services template or a procedure change (which I proposed) BUT for now the customer is basically demanding a client side check. Similar to how SAM offers a User Experience "MAPI Round Trip Email" monitor to ensure mail can flow; but for Lync.