This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion Internal Rules for Hardware sensors?

Good Day peeps emoticons_happy.png

A question around what Orion Internal Rules..

Some background first over the past month our hardware sensors for our Cisco ASR 1002 are showing as Critical but when we run the command 'show environment' on the router everything is normal. i have tried the two MIBs first the CISCO-ENTITY-SENSOR-MIB and the CISCO-Envmon-MIB but i am still getting this 'Critical' State select use global settings played around with that but no joy.

Ok so now the question you can click 'Settings' 'Manage Hardware Senors'  and have 3 options i am curious on the 'use Orion Defaults' i thought that the data collected for this is just SNMP values so is something else calculating the values in the background on Orion? and what is the built in logic?

pastedImage_4.png

Cheers,

Dan

• Good question, 

I was wondering if there was a "global setting" on a per device model basis.

• I have the same question. I have two identical sensors with (apparently) different thresholds. One has a temp of 95 and is currently critical. The other is 111 and the status is OK. I understand that I can override the defaults but I'd really like to know what the defaults are so I can make adjustments before they alert.

• I too have this same question.  Did anyone get an answer?

• might be set by the device?

if you look  at entPhysicalTable you get the sensors (on an ASR920 anyway); on the entSensorValueTable a 'status is reported, and SW might be using the 'ok' value

entSensorType entSensorScale entSensorPrecision entSensorValue entSensorStatus entSensorValueTimeStamp entSensorValueUpdateRate entSensorMeasuredEntity

amperes          units                  0              0              ok          400:3:22:34.23               60 seconds                       6

voltsDC          units                  0              0              ok          400:3:22:34.23               60 seconds                       6

voltsAC          units                  0              0              ok          400:3:22:34.23               60 seconds                       6

watts          units                  0              0              ok          400:3:22:34.23               60 seconds                       6

celsius          units                  0              0              ok          400:3:22:34.23               60 seconds                       6

celsius          units                  0              0              ok          400:3:22:34.23               60 seconds                       6

we have the something similar for low power alarms for SFP -- the SFP reported the actual power and the limits, and then the chassis decides if there is high/low power issue.

• Hi I_LIKE_EGGS,

Does your issue regarding this has been resolved? If yes, can you share to us the resolution? We are encountering the same error. Appreciate you immediate feedback. Thank you in advance. emoticons_happy.png

• Hi fellas,

i didn't get any answer for this in the end. apologizes  for the lack of response on this.

i think i have worked out how thresholds work and what the internal rule is, so just like SolarWinds, Cisco has its own built in thresholds for example:

say you have a power sensor and its running normal at a value of 1000 this value is an integer that is used to compare predefined values on the device.

so lets say the current value of 1000 falls in to the brackets of 1200 - 1300 then you will get a warning hardware sensor this is the same for if the value falls into the predefined critical thresholds. 

I can only assume that 'Use Orion defaults' is simply mimicking  what Cisco is doing and comparing one OID value to another OID value and based on the value it falls in determines the state of the hardware.

i would suggest doing an SNMP walk on the device finding these threshold values and find the current value and compare them manually unfortunately i didn't get to the bottom of this but if you can find the thresholds and check the current value you will know if its a vendor problem or with SolarWinds.  

the above is just my assumption but if you manage to get to the root please comment back emoticons_happy.png

• Just curious if anyone has seen this issue on cards that are installed without SFPs but still reporting back bad data?